Chapter Eight

Sun curled up in her nest and shut her eyes, instantly breathing slower and falling asleep. The battle had exhausted her, as had her training with Lionscar in that dark forest. When she closed her eyes, she expected to not dream at all, or dream her way into Lionscar's forest. She was wrong on both accounts. When she opened her eyes, she was in a forest of willow trees, sunshine dappling the ground. The air was sweet smelling, and when sun looked up, stars shone high in the dark blue sky. "Hello, Sun," a quiet voice said behind her. Sun turned around. Raintail was standing behind her. "Raintail," Sun breathed. "What-what is this place?"

"This is StarClan," Raintail told her. "It's where good fallen warriors go."

A different voice spoke. Sun looked around, and suddenly saw pretty she cat, with different shades of gray and silver dappling her coat. "Who are you?" Asked Sun to the she cat. "I am Doveheart," the she cat said. "And I-we come with a warning."

"What's the warning?" Asked Sun. Doveheart sighed. "I'll tell her," she mewed to Raintail, then turned back to Sun. "Walk with me."

They padded away through the willow trees, occasionally coming across a cherry blossom tree, in silence. Then Doveheart turned to Sun. "Do you know who Lionscar is?"

"He's a dead warrior, isn't he?" Sun asked, frowning slightly. "He is," Doveheart agreed. "But he was an evil cat. Evil."

"What did he do?" Asked Sun. Doveheart sighed again. "In the Clans, there is a code called the Warrior Code. One of the rules in he Code is that we may not train kits until they are six moons old. Lionscar was the deputy of a former leader named Petalstar. Poor Petalstar was old, confused. Lionscar was someone who she trusted more than anyone, as her deputy, and her mate. Yet Lionscar betrayed her, by telling her to train kits when they were four moons old, and made them warriors at seven. Most didn't survive that long.

"He also killed many warriors to be powerful, finally making his way to deputy. He even killed his medicine cat, and his daughter. Me."

Sun felt her eyes widen. "Why?"

"I have no idea," Doveheart mewed sadly. "I never thought I'd be betrayed by my own father."

"So, you want to warm me of Lionscar?" Sun asked. Doveheart nodded. "He's crafty. He'll be able to pull you in, you watch."

She began to fade. "Be strong, Sun!" She yowled. "Be strong!"

<><><><><><><><><><><><>><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Sun ran into camp, the sun shining down on her fur. Her jaws were filled with fish, as she and Skypelt had just run down to the lake behind the camp and dove for trout. Sun had even managed to catch a carp. Skypelt was trotting behind her. "Sun!" Goldleaf called as she padded into camp. Sun dropped her fish and hurried over to the tom. "Hi!"

"Are you ready to go hunting now?" Asked Goldleaf. Sun looked at Skypelt for permission. "Go ahead," Skypelt mewed, then added, "Have fun."

Sun nodded, smiling, and padded out of the camp with Goldleaf by her side. They walked in silence for a few minutes, until Sun looked at Goldleaf. "Who was your mentor?"

Just like that, they began chattering like birds. They didn't stop until the reached the lake. Goldleaf stared down apprehensively. "What?" Asked Sun, diving in and resurfacing. "I don't know if I mentioned this," Goldleaf muttered through clenched teeth. "But I don't like swimming."

Sun let out a "mrrow" of laughter and lunged forward, wrapping her paws around his foreleg, and tugged him in. Goldleaf bobbed to the surface, sputtering. "Why you little-"

Sun darted off, purring loudly, as Goldleaf swam unevenly behind her. "Come on!" She called. "How did you become a warrior?"

Goldleaf growled playfully. "I'll show you my warrior skills!" He dove down to the bottom and scooped a trout off the floor of the lake. He resurfaced, killed it with a nip to the neck, and dropped it on the banks of the lake.

Sun swam under him, taking his tail in her teeth and pulling gently. Goldleaf whipped around, dove under, and started paddling towards her. She swam swiftly to the other side of the lake. "You'll never catch me!" She yowled, clinging to the wall playfully.

Later, when Sun started to feel hungry and cold, she pulled herself out of the water and blinked at Goldleaf, who had clamebered out long before her. They had caught minnows, fish, and some carp somehow. It was a wonder that the prey wasn't scared off, Sun thought, what with all the splashing they were doing.

"Are you going to stay in the Clan?" Goldleaf asked unexpectedly a few heartbeats later after Sun had shook out her fur and sat down next to him. Sun turned to face him, frowning slightly. "I don't know."

Yet what else could she return to? Her mother, Frost, was gone to her, and how could she leave Cinderpaw, Skypelt, and Goldleaf? She had only known them for a few days, but already she didn't want to leave them.

But why wouldn't she stay as a loner? As a loner, she didn't have to stay confined to one territory- she could always move if she needed to. In a Clan, she couldn't do that. And she didn't have to wait until elders were fed, or queens and kits. She could eat whenever she wanted.

But could she really leave the Clans, and all the friends she had made? Wait, she thought. There has been enemies too.

HollyClan, for sure. And Silverstar had never exactly been nice to her, or Stonepaw or Frostpaw. If she stayed in the Clan, she would have to put up with them for as long as they and she stayed alive.

Yet as she looked at the calm water of the lake, surrounded by pine trees, she felt a strange sense creep over her. Like safety. Peace. Tranquility.

She looked up at Goldleaf and took a deep breath, her mind made up. "I will stay."

So how'd you like it? :D

I've been recieving a lot of positive response from this book, which is awesome. I do, however, have a teensy-weensy problem:

I have no time to write other books.

So, what I'm going to do, because my other Warriors book, Fireblaze, needs to be updated soon and I don't have anything written down, I'm going to alternate days on which to write. So, I might not update for about 2-3 days at a time. Hopefully it'll get better when school starts back up, but I'm not sure. I heard that they give you a lot more homework in sixth grade. Then again, my mom said the same thing about fifth grade. That didn't happen.

I hope thing's will get better, but as I said, I don't know. I wish I could devote more time to this, but my schedule is jam-packed. I play clarinet, but I get a little break- I only have to practice it three days a week.

Anyway. Sorry for the bad news. I'll try to update as much as possible, but I don't want to rush things and make it bad. So sit tight guys, and maybe try out The Unknown Threat series by CrazystarThunderClan.

^ ^

( = = ==)

meow.

(Yes I just failed at making a cat face.

DON'T JUDGE XD)