Chapter Twenty One

Sunpaw looked around the camp. Amberclaw lay groaning outside the nursery, and Stonewhisker had torn a claw. Whiteswirl had a bloody ear and Peonystorm was crouched, quivering with fear, just outside of camp. Featherpelt padded out of the medicine den, his expression grim. "Silverstar, Brightsky is... Well, she wants to talk to you."

Silverstar nodded, her blue eyes shining, and padded into the den. Cloverfur padded out, brushing the silver leader with her tail. In the sky, the moon reached its peak and the first stars began to light. Sunpaw wondered if any warriors in StarClan were looking down on her, after what she had done almost an hour ago.

Two FlowerClan warriors were dead, cats that Silverstar whispered had been called Redpelt and Stormheart. Skypelt, who Sunpaw was relieved to see wasn't badly injured, worked with Stonewhisker to roll them out of the camp. All the HollyClan and FlowerClan cats had fled, and Sunpaw was left to sit and tremble with the memory of what she had done.

She had almost killed a cat. How? How could she have done? She wanted to moan in frustration. She didn't know. It was as if something had taken her over, possessed her, made her do something. And she knew what that thing that had taken her over was.

Lionscar.

She growled, deep and low in her throat when she thought of the shadowy black tom. What was he doing? He said he could help her. How was killing apprentices helpful? It weakened the Clan, but Sunpaw knew that killing was a major no-no. She wouldn't kill any cat, ever. She didn't want that guilt eating at her. Besides, she saw how Frostpaw was sick with greencough. Very sick. She knew Stonewhisker would be devastated if she died, and she didn't want to be the cause of that kind of sadness. No cat deserved that.

But how could she stop Lionscar?

She sighed. She wished more than anything that she could talk to Cinderpaw, but the small gray she cat was sick and there was nothing she could do but stay away. She had a sneaking suspicion that Lionscar was much more trouble than he seemed... But how?

She looked up at the sky and yawned. She was tired. If she fell asleep, she knew she'd dream her way into the Dark Forest. It was the place she'd been going for over a moon now. She knew that she'd need to earn the cat's trust if she was to survive.

And she was going to survive.

Sunpaw grabbed a trout and padded into the apprentice den. She curled up, facing the back wall, in her nest, and devoured the trout quickly. She was about to shut her eyes, when-

"Sunpaw?"

Her head snapped up and she turned it so swiftly it hurt. Standing there was Goldleaf. His gray pelt looked dark and shadowy in the half-light, and his golden eyes gleamed. Sunpaw narrowed her eyes at him. "What do you want?"

Goldleaf shuffled his paws awkwardly. Sunpaw saw that his normally fluffy, soft fur was spiking up and his eyes were pushed to the ground. "Well, I-I... We need to talk, Sunpaw," he stuttered. Sunpaw rolled her eyes. "Not this again! Goldleaf, no. Just no. Go and eat with Applefoot or whatever."

Goldleaf's eyes widened. "That's what it is!" He gasped, flicking his tail sharply. "You don't like that I'm Applefoot's mate!"

"No!" Sunpaw retorted. "That's not it at all!"

Goldleaf growled. "Then how come you never talk to me anymore? You completely shut me out after Applefoot and I became mates! Come on, admit it Sunpaw! Are you jealous of her or something?"

"No!" Sunpaw snarled. She leaped to her paws. "Of course I'm not! Why would I be jealous of her?"

Yet was she? She didn't know. She felt confused and didn't know anything anymore. The world had turned upside down. She should've just stayed as a rogue, not getting involved, not having to experience these feelings.

Goldleaf turned his back on Sunpaw. "I thought I knew you," he spat. "Guess not."

With that, he stalked out of the den.

✨🐱✨

Although she was alone in the den, Sunpaw couldn't get to sleep for a while. Her fight with Goldleaf ran through her mind until finally she dropped off. She opened her eyes in the Dark Forest.

And Lionscar. A hot rush of anger crashed over Sunpaw and she growled audibly. "What's wrong?" Lionscar crooned. "Come on, we're fighting with other apprentices today."

Sunpaw followed the shadowy black tom, limping slightly on her hurt paw. "We'll be working on battle moves later," Lionscar added. Sunpaw nodded, not speaking. She was curious. Who were these apprentices?

Finally they emerged into a clearing. Sunpaw looked around. A dull white-gray tom was standing in the corner, with a bunch of small cats from the other Clans. "Right, everyone's going to fight someone, so just wait till you're called," Lionscar ordered, leaping upon a large rock. "First up, Flakecloud and Stormbreeze, both of the Dark Forest."

Sunpaw watched in boredom as two toms fought. Then, a tom and a she cat. Then two she cats. Finally she heard, "Lastly Sunpaw, of CloudClan. Her opponent will be..."

Lionscar paused and Sunpaw stepped into the fighting area. A silver tabby pelt flashed in the corner of her eye. It almost looked like... But, it couldn't be. It couldn't be!

"Applefoot. Your opponent will be Applefoot."

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH CLIFFIEEEEEEE!

Sorry about three hours ago I had brownies and cookie dough ice cream. Ya gotta cut me some slack, I'm beggin' ya!

Lol. I. Am. Exhausted! 😴 Middle school is hard for a sixth grader!!! 😧 Plus I had NINETY MINUTES of karate two hours afterwards, and some of you will know that I got freaked out because I thought there was a robber in my house xD

Well... HA! HA HA HA... The next chapter will involve looooots of drama! And the Oakpaw-Goldleaf-Sunpaw fight will come up soon.

AAH THERE WAS A.. SUNLEAF (???) FIGHT!!!!!!! NOOO!!!! And I have something planned for Brightsky *Le evil grin* So watch out! 😋

Bye!

~ ✨🐱✨ Rainfeather 🐱✨🐱