Chapter Twenty Three

It was Goldleaf.

Sunpaw stumbled to her paws, staring at him. "G-Goldleaf, I-"

Goldleaf flicked his tail. "Save it, Sunpaw. I already know. Don't you think I'd noticed you slipping out of camp? I followed you because I had to know."

Hurt flashed in his eyes. "I had to know why you didn't like me anymore. And I guess I found out why. Come on."

"No, Goldleaf, wait," Sunpaw meowed. She looked at the warrior's gray pelt, well groomed, and his yellow eyes, bright as stars, and yet collapsing. "I... I..."

Sunpaw couldn't say it. She fell silent, and Oakpaw sprang to his paws. "She's mine, Goldleaf!" He snarled. His eyes were blazing with anger. "You had your chance, but you chose Applefoot."

"How did you know that?" Goldleaf shot back. Sunpaw froze and very slowly, she glanced at Oakpaw. The dark brown tom was stiff, his fur fluffed up. "How did you know that?" Goldleaf asked, his voice quieter. Above Sunpaw, the night sky stretched out endlessly. "Well- um-"

"Silverstar announced it at the last Gathering!" Sunpaw blurted out. Inwardly she was glad that Goldleaf hadn't been at last moons' Gatehering, because Silverstar had done no such thing. Goldleaf shrugged. "Alright, but Sunpaw, come with me. We have to get back to camp."

"No!" Oakpaw snarled. "She's coming back to FlowerClan, right Sunpaw?"

Sunpaw remembered two nights before when she and Oakpaw had made plans for the future, but she had thought it was all in fun. She had said she would join FlowerClan, and Oakpaw had promised to make her his deputy when he became leader. Had he really been serious?

Yet how should she choose Goldleaf? Especially when he was Applefoot's mate. "What about Applefoot?" She asked. "What will she think? And why do you care at all if you love her?"

Goldleaf scuffed his paws on the ground. "Sunpaw, I was only doing that to protect you. How do you think Applefoot would've reacted if I showed how much I love you? She would've killed you, Sunpaw. I was trying to protect you."

Sunpaw believed him. Easily, effortlessly, simply, she believed Goldleaf. But Oakpaw was still standing there, and no matter what, she couldn't stay with with him.

"Oakpaw," she meowed slowly. "You're a great cat. But we can't keep meeting here. It's against the warrior code, and I'm almost always exhausted afterwards. I'm sorry."

Oakpaw took a step back. "Wow, Sunpaw. I really thought... I thought you loved me. I guess I was wrong."

He turned to Goldleaf and pawed the ground angrily, his claws scraping against the wet mud from the river. "I hate you!" He yowled. "I'll never forgive you for this, Goldleaf."

He turned, leaped back across the river, and disappeared, streaking across the moonlit meadow. Sunpaw turned to Goldleaf. "Come on," she murmured. "Let's go home."

✨🐱✨

Silverstar stood at the top of the Rock Pile a few hours later. She had called the Clan together just after Brightsky had been buried. To choose a new deputy, maybe?

Sunpaw wondered who it would be. Maybe Amberclaw. Or Greenflower. They were both good warriors. Or maybe even Skypelt!

"As you know, our deputy Brightsky has been killed, and it is time to choose a new deputy. I say these words before the spirit of Brightsky so that she may hear and approve my choice." Her tail flicked and she looked to the back of the group of cats. "My deputy will be Applefoot."

Yes! It's finally over and it has a CLIFFIE! ;D

Thank you, everyone, for reading this, you have no idea how much it means to me <3 I love you all *virtual hug*

Just some stuff you should know:

~ The next book should probably be started around next weekish. Hopefully. Between homework and writing the allegiances *shudder* I dunno when I will be able to get a chapter out. But we'll see, we'll see.

~ The cover may not be out for a few days. I need to work on it.

Love you all! So so much! :D

~✨🐱✨ Rainfeather ✨🐱✨