Chapter Three

Sun sat at the entrance of Silverstar's den. "So how does a Clan work?"

"Well, since you'd be an apprentice, you'd get a mentor, a warrior who would train you in hunting, fighting, and learning the warrior code. When you're twelve moons, you'll start to be tested on hunting and fighting, and will possibly be made a warrior," Silverstar mewed, sitting across from Sun. "When you're a warrior, you can take a mate, have kits, become a mentor, and have a chance to become Clan deputy, or even Clan leader."

Sun's eyes grew wide. "Okay."

"If you want to stay with the Clan for a few days, you will have to have a mentor to train you," Silverstar informed her. "Do you wish to make that commitment? You'd have to give it your all, or else you wouldn't be allowed in the Clan, like it or not."

Sun nodded. "I agree."

"Then come with me," Silverstar ordered. She stood up and pushed past Sun, stepping back into the sunlight of camp. It was so dark inside her den, Sun thought, that her nest was completely hidden in the shadows.

"All cats old enough to climb Sky Tree gather here under the Rock Pile for a Clan meeting!" Silverstar yowled, her voice ringing out clearly over the camp. Most of the cats seemed to be already in the clearing, but a two cats emerged from a den under a bush, their white and gray pelts freshly groomed. "As I'm sure most of you have noticed, Goldleaf found a rogue in our territory a few minutes ago," Silverstar began. "She has decided that she would like to stay with CloudClan for a few days to see if she would like a place in our Clan permanently. Her name is Sun."

Sun looked up at Silverstar at the sound of her name, nodding slightly. "As she is seven moons old and therefore the appropriate age for an apprentice, she will receive a mentor. Since she is not sure she will stay forever, Sun will not take on a Clan name."

Sun breathed out. Do you really want to do this? She asked herself. Yes, she answered almost instantly. The points Goldleaf had made were sensible. Anyway, she had had enough of forever being driven out and on the move. A Clan wouldn't do that to her.

"Sun, do you agree to learn as much as you can in the days you decide to stay, and make a decision by the end of your alloted time here?"

Sun nodded. She felt a nudge at her back and a hissed, "I do," from someone who sounded like Goldleaf. "I do," She hastilly ammended. Silverstar nodded approvingly. "Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your mentor. Skypelt, you are ready for your first apprentice. You will be the mentor, at least for a few days, to Sun."

"Sun! Sun! Sun!" A few cheers rose over camp, but they were mainly from Goldleaf and Silverstar and Skypelt. Sun shrank into her pelt. Oh well. You'll make them respect you.

"Come on," a light gray she cat with blue eyes said to Sun. "You need a nest. Over here."

She led her under a rock, which opened up into a tunnel. The she cat walked down with sure paws, and Sun followed with slighty less confidence. "My name's Cinderpaw," the gray she cat told her as they walked down the tunnel. "I've been an apprentice for three moons. My mentor's Greenflower. Here we are," She added, stopping as the tunnel widened into a cave. The ground was dirt, and shallow scoops in the ground with ferns and petals lining them were nests. Cinderpaw led her over to a dip near the back of the den. "Here, this could be your nest," Cinderpaw mewed. Sun nodded. "Now, are you hungry?"

"A little," Sun said. "Ok, come on and we'll get you some fresh-kill," Cinderpaw mewed. "In CloudClan, we hunt mice and fish, and the occasional bird."

"I love fish," Sun announced. "Well, you'll be happy here, there's tons of fish in greenleaf, newleaf, and leaffall. But in leafbare, the lakes and streams all freeze over, so we can't swim or hunt there. We have to rely on forest prey. Do you like to swim?"

"I love swimming, and water," Sun mewed, sighing a little with relief as she saw light at the end of the tunnel. Cinderpaw smiled. "You get used to it," She told her, referring to Sun's obvious claustrophobia. She pulled herself out of the hole and turned, waiting for Sun. Sun followed suit, and together they padded into the clearing.

Sun looked around, noticing for the first time the tiny details that made up the camp. Flowers bloomed on bushes, and petals were strewn artfully around. A sweet smell came from a cave underneathe two rocks that were propped up next to each other. Some flat stones lay all around the clearing, covered with moss and ferns. Cats lay on them, stretched out peacefully, basking. Shiny pebbles were set in haphazard piles in different places around the camp- the food pile, near bushes, and at a tunnel that led outwards. "This is the fresh kill pile," Cinderpaw announced, breaking into Sun's thoughts. Sun padded forward and picked up a fish. "Can I have this?"

Cinderpaw nodded. Sun brought it over to a corner of the camp and slipped under a bush with it to avoid attention. "Can I share with you?" Asked Cinderpaw, wriggling in after Sun. "Sure!" Sun replied, and together they ate the fish. Sun lay back, licking her lips. "You have good fish here. I had a trout this morning which wasn't nearly as good as this."

"Thanks," Cinderpaw meowed. "I think my sister Frostpaw caught this. She's that one over there, with Stonepaw."

She thrust a paw outward, pointing at a beautiful white she cat, who was sitting on a basking stone directly across from them. She was sharing it with a silver tom. "Everyone says they'll be mates," Cinderpaw mewed disgustedly, rolling her eyes. "I want to wait a while before I get a mate though."

Sun couldn't help noticing that she threw a half-glance over at a black tom with pale ginger spots. "Who's that?" She asked, angling her ears over at the tom. "That's Lightningfeather," Cinderpaw told her. "He's been a warrior for about half a moon. He's a brilliant hunter."

Sun smiled. "So, what do when we're just sitting here? I mean, when you're done eating and whatnot."

"We go to sleep after that," Cinderpaw mewed. Sun nodded, breathing in the sweet scent of the blossoms. She'd never had a routine like this before. One of the small perks of being a rogue was that you didn't have to wait around for someone else. You could go where you wanted, when you wanted.

Sun yawned. "Well, I'm tired. Do you want to go to sleep?"

Cinderpaw nodded. "Sure. Let me just tell Frostpaw. Although," she added with distaste, "She's so wrapped up with Stonepaw that she probably won't even notice."

Cinderpaw stood up and went over to tell Frostpaw she was going to sleep, and sure enough, Frostpaw hardly nodded, her head still turned to Stonepaw. "Let's go," Cinderpaw suggested when she'd got back. "I'm tired."

She led the way to the apprentice den. Sun braced herself for the narrow tunnel and followed Cinderpaw quickly. They curled up in their respective nests, and Cinderpaw's breath slowed quickly. Sun, however, continued looking up at the ceiling.

I didn't see much, but I liked it, Sun realized. Maybe, just maybe, I'll stay.