Chapter Four

Sun fell asleep just after she decided she would maybe stay. Usually, she didn't dream of anything, but tonight she dreamed herself into a dark, slimy forest that stank of blood. Sun looked around nervously. The ground was squishy underpaw, and the trees went on forever, so Sun couldn't see the sky. Shrieks and yowls filled the air, coming from all over the place. Where am I? Sun wondered.

"This is The Dark Forest," a voice behind her growled. Sun whirled around around. A black tom with amber eyes and tufts of fur missing from his shoulder was staring at her steadily. Blood trickled down him from a deep cut in his shoulder. "Who-who are you?" Sun asked in a trembling voice. "My name is Lionscar," The tom mewed softly. "I have seen you before you joined those weak excuses for Clans. You have great fighting skill, and I was wondering whether you would like to hone them and become one of our many elite warriors."

Sun shook her head. "Cinderpaw told me that Skypelt can teach me a lot. She said her mentor was Silverstar."

"Yes, but we can teach you even more in the ways of a warrior," Lionscar told her. "Well... no, I don't want to," Sun said stubbornly. She didn't know why, but something in her told her not to trust this tom. "Where'd you get that wound?" She asked, trying to redirect his attention from her. It worked, and Blackscar looked down at his shoulder, his eyes widening in surprise as if he hadn't noticed the wound. "I got it during training."

"You train with claws unsheathed?" Sun asked in shock. "Yes," Lionscar said simply, as if she should've known alredy. "Don't all the Clans train like that?"

"I-I don't know," Sun admitted. "I've never had a training session before."

"Well, how about just one basic move," Lionscar coaxed. "We can even fight with claws sheathed, if you like."

Sun hesitated, then nodded. What harm can it do? She told herself firmly. He said it's basic, and we can fight with claws sheathed. Tomorrow I won't dream of here again.

She looked back at Lionscar "Alright. What do I do?" She asked. "Watch," Lionscar ordered. "I'm going to attack that piece of moss."

He flicked his tail towards a slimy, grayish piece of moss. Sun nodded, trying to ignore the disgusting piece of moss. Lionscar crouched low, shoulderblades almost touching the ground, and moved forward, fast as a snake, and flipped the moss over. If the moss was a cat, he was slashig their belly very hard. His claws were still sheathed, but by the time he had stepped back the moss was in pieces. He stepped back and nodded at Sun. "Now, try it on me. Claws sheathed." The last bit was added in a slight sneer. Sun nodded, pressing herself to the ground, then darted forward, crashing into Lionscar. He didn't move. Sun backed up and tried again. He still refused to move. He looked down at her, purring slightly. "Are you ready yet?"

"I already did it!" Sun insisted. "But you didn't move...."

"That's because you hit me with your head. Try hitting me with your body," Lionscar ordered. Sun nodded and backed up once more, pressing herself to the ground then hitting Lionscar's injured shoulder with hers. He fell back, but she grabbed him and flipped him over. She began pummeling her paws into his stomach without mercy. Lionscar shook her off. "Good job. Remember to have one paw on my throat to stop me from moving."

Sun nodded. Suddenly she noticed that she was feeling lighter. "It's time for you to go back," Lionscar told her. She nodded. "How?"

"Just close your eyes," Lionscar instructed. Sun did as she was told and felt like she was falling asleep. When she opened her eyes, she was back in the apprentice den.

"Sun! Time to get up!" Came a bright, cheery voice. Sun blinked, nodded, and sat up, feeling tired. I suppose my mind is just playing tricks on me. There's no way I could have done that, and still feel tired in the morning.