Chapter Twenty

Silverstar bolted to her paws, staring right at Sunpaw. "What?"

Sunpaw slid to the ground, exhaustion hitting her in a huge wave. "HollyClan's attacking!" She wheezed. "Need... Water..."

Some cat ran off to get some. Sunpaw was only aware of how hard she was breathing, and how she had to be able to stop HollyClan. They won't kill CloudClan! Suddenly a loud crack sounded just outside of camp and a tree branch from a sturdy old maple tree plummeted to the ground near the medicine den. Sunpaw pushed herself to her paws, almost frozen but for the rise and fall of her flanks. Silverstar stared up. "CloudClan, defensive line," she meowed quietly. She sounded calm; Sunpaw wondered how she could be so calm when they're lives could be on the line. "Sunpaw, drink that water quickly then stand beside Skypelt. Stonewhisker, get Snowblaze, Peonystorm, and the kits and Rosefoot and Windheart to safety. Lightningfeather, guard the medicine den. Everyone else, battle formations."

Sunpaw took the soaked moss that Cloverfur offered her and lapped at the water with a word of thanks, then pushed it away and slipped in beside Skypelt. The warrior looked down at Sunpaw. "Be brave," she whispered. Sunpaw nodded, unable to speak, and turned her gaze upon the tree like every other cat. The only cats missing were Cinderpaw, Frostpaw, and Tansypool, who were sick, and Stonewhisker, who was helping the elders, queens and kits.

"Leafstar!" Silverstar yowled suddenly, fiercely. Sunpaw jumped with the abruptness of her shout. "Come down and face us like warriors."

Sunpaw spotted Leaftstar's golden pelt, and then the strong, slender tom leaped gracefully down from the tree. "Silverstar." He spat the name. "So you've decided that you're going to put on a brave face for your Clan. Good decision."

"Oh, it's more than a brave face," Silverstar retorted evenly. "What I want to know is why you're on my territory."

Leafstar smirked. "Well. I didn't like how you accused HollyClan of killing Raintail-"

"YOU DID!" Goldleaf screamed. His voice was bitter, full of anger and resentment. Silverstar silenced him with a single glare. "I will give you three seconds to leave, or we will attack. One.

Two.

"Three."

The whole of HollyClan streamed down among the cats. Everyone began fighting. Sunpaw swiftly leaped onto a cream and gold she cat. She hissed and rolled over. Sunpaw slashed at her now-exposed belly with unsheathed claws, snarling, "If you're going to invade our territory, you better be able to fight back!"

The she cat snarled and kicked her off. "Sure you can defend it in the first place?" She taunted as she pinned her. "I don't think so."

Sunpaw, thinking fast, gave a great heave upward and slammed a paw onto her nose. The she cat howled in pain and swatted a paw clumsily at her eye. Sunpaw stepped back, the claw swishing past her face and missing her eyes by whiskers. A thought flashed through Sunpaw's mind. She could've blinded me!

She yowled in fury and sank her teeth into the she cat's tail, biting down hard. She screeched in pain, but Sunpaw didn't let go. Wrenching her tail out from Sunpaw's grasp, she fled the camp.

Sunpaw looked around for her next opponent. Suddenly, a new smell hit her nose as another Clan flooded in through the barriers of the camp, crushing them. FlowerClan! Sunpaw thought. Oakpaw!

She whirled around and glimpsed Stonewhisker attempting to ward off three muscular HollyClan warriors. Rosefoot was slashing bravely, but a paw to the head was all it took for her to collapse. Sunpaw bounded over, yowling a challenge, and nipping one of the tom's tails. He whipped around and jerked his tail out of her grip, towering over her. Sunpaw's eyes widened. He looked a lot tougher than the apprentice! Refusing to be intimidated, she screeched and leaped forward, clawing his muzzle and bowling him over. He yowled, grabbed her leg, and thrust her off. Sunpaw landed with a thump at the base of a tree. She leaped back to her feet, spitting with rage. I will beat this tom!

The tom had turned back around and was attacking Stonewhisker again. Sunpaw stalked up to him and fastened her jaws into his leg, biting down till she felt blood. The tom howled in pain and brought his long, sharp claws crashing down on Sunpaw's flank. The wound began to spurt out blood, but Sunpaw ignored it and quickly looked around for any fresh wounds. Quickly spotting one on his shoulder, she dug her claw in, thought she knew it was a dirty move. Good job! Lionscar cheered in her head.

She hissed and dug her claw in deeper, feeling the tom's blood gush around her paws. He screamed and yowled and jerked away, pulling away. He sprinted out of the camp, leaving a long trail of blood behind him.

"Thanks!" Stonewhisker gasped, slashing at two toms at once. Sunpaw, remembering her first training session with Lionscar, crept up behind him and leaped, slashing his back with unforgiving claws. The warrior reared and dropped backwards, crushing Sunpaw to the ground. She snarled, kicking out with her hind paws in an attempt to throw him off, but to no avail. She was tired. How nice would it be, she thought, to just drift away? Leave her quarrel with Goldleaf alone. It'd be nice to be able to fly and look down on CloudClan.

"Mr-row!"

A loud yowl shocked Sunpaw as her airway suddenly cleared. She gasped and flailed. Finally she found her paws and scrambled up, blinking to find who had helped her.

It was Goldleaf.

Sunpaw screeched, ignoring the fact that her newfound enemy had saved her, and dove in next to him. "Slash his belly!" Goldleaf instructed. Sunpaw nodded and slammed her paws down repeatedly into the tom's belly while Goldleaf held him down. Finally he wailed piteously and Goldleaf let him up. He fled the camp. "Are you hurt?" Goldleaf shouted. Sunpaw shook her head. Goldleaf spotted the wound on her flank. "Get to the medicine den!" He ordered. Sunpaw nodded and sprinted across the camp.

The inside was hectic. Featherpelt was leaning over Brightsky, and Cloverfur was bandaging one of the warriors from another Clan's paw. Sunpaw blinked. BreezeClan. She hadn't even realized they were there.

Sunpaw sat down and Cloverfur padded over. "Just your flank?" She asked. Sunpaw quickly checked herself over. "Yes."

Cloverfur nodded and chewed up a shriveled marigold leaf. "StarClan knows we need more," she muttered. "I hope all the battle patrols haven't crushed them."

Sunpaw hissed slightly when the juice trickled into her wound. Cloverfur deftly swathed it in cobwebs, looked her over, and nodded. "You're good to go."

Sunpaw raced back out of the den and looked around. The crowd was thinning; many cats lay injured, or, Sunpaw shuddered to think it, dead. She saw an apprentice sneaking towards the nursery. She bounded over, moving quickly and quietly, and launched herself upward, landing on the apprentice's back with a loud thump. She pinned her easily. "A little late, fox breath!" She sneered. The apprentice turned her head lightning fast, sending a sharp jab of pain into Sunpaw's leg as she bit down hard. Sunpaw howled and brought her paw down hard on her head. Harder, harder! Lionscar ordered. Sunpaw pushed the apprentice's head to the ground and Lionscar cheered.

Suddenly the apprentice twitched and threw her off with newfound strength. Dirt smeared her face as she gazed, panting, at Sunpaw. Sunpaw saw that she was close to death. She had nearly suffocated her! What had she done?

The battle was over, Sunpaw realized as she looked around the camp. It was over.

AHH WHAT DID SHE JUST DOO?????? Lol. When I originally wrote this she killed the apprentice...!

Be careful, Sunpaw. Be careful.

Bad news: I have school tomorrow. Which means I won't be able to update my books till probably the weekend on Friday. I will try to get some updates in at night, but I might not be able to. 😥😥😥

Wish me luck, middle school starts tomorrow 🙀🙀

Thank you all for reading this far <3 the book is at over six hundred views and nearly 100 votes! I love you all :) In, you know, a non-creepy way.

Well I better go finish my math packet! See you!

~✨🐱✨ Rainfeather ✨🐱✨

Ps Anyone wanna RP on my RP book later? I might be there!