3: Finding Out the Truth

"This is some sort of joke." I said as I stood up off the swing.

"No it's not, I swear! I'm Elizabeth, do you remember me at all? What about Jacob? Of course you have to remember mom and dad." The girl rambled on

I shook my head and pushed my way past her. I didn't want to believe any of this. We must have just been friends or went to the same party as kids.

"I'm calling mom right now." Elizabeth yelled behind me. I ignored her and continued to push my way through the crowds. Who was this girl? Our mom isn't the same person.

I found Stacy in the same spot I left her and grabbed her arm, "We have to leave, now."

"What's going on?" She asked as she began to fish around her purse for her keys. I ignored the question and led her down the street towards the car. I couldn't think straight about anything right now.

We got into the car and she sat the keys down in her lap, and sighed, "I drank more after you left. I can't really drive."

I groaned and handed her the picture, "This girl claims to be my long lost twin sister." 

"What?! Do you believe her? Have your parents ever mentioned her?" She panicked.

I shook my head, "Of course I haven't heard about having a twin. She's probably just psycho or something."

We both fell quiet and i fell lost in thought. This whole thing was creepy. A girl who looks exactly like me knew my name, where my birthmarks are, and had a photo of us as kids. Part of me had to believe her, despite how insane this situation was.

A few minutes later Stacy broke the silence, "What're you going to do?"

I shrugged, "I have no idea..."

Almost immediately after I finished my sentence, police sirens came quickly towards us. The classic party shutdown, luckily we were already out of there.

Suddenly, someone was banging on my window. I let out a small scream and looked over to see Elizabeth.

"Holy shit, she does look just like you!" Stacy exclaimed as I pushed the car door open.

"Please don't leave, you have to believe me. Look, mom and dad are almost here so if you'd just wait a few more minutes-" She began but was cut off by a woman closely behind her screaming, "Elizabeth!"

The girl stepped aside and a mid-age couple was standing behind her. They were frozen, just as I had been when I first saw Elizabeth.

"Oh my god, it really is her." The man said as the woman came running towards me. Her knees fell onto the ground and she wrapped her arms around me as she began to cry. I quickly realized, this was Elizabeth's parents who believed I was their long lost daughter.

The woman looked up at me and we studied each others faces. She looked just like Elizabeth and I did with the long dark hair and green eyes. She eventually wiped her tears and stood up, "I'm so glad you found us."

I shook my head, "Listen, I don't know what's going on or who any of you are. I just need to get home to my parents and-"

"We are your parents." She said shaking her head.

The man gently touched her arm and pushed her back, "We understand this is confusing. They've clearly lied to you and made you forget about us but if you'd just come with us we can explain everything."

Stacy grabbed my hand, "I think you should go. At least hear them out, or else you'll never know."

She was right. As much as I didn't want to believe them and how crazy this all seemed, there were too many scary connections. If I left now, I would never know if any of this was true. The rest of my life would be spent wondering.

"Talk to Blake for me, okay?" I said getting out of her car. She smiled and nodded, "See you soon."

-------

As I got into their car, I felt nothing but panic. I didn't even know where we were going.

"We always knew we would find you." The woman said to me as we began the drive.

I nodded in order to make her feel better, "Can you explain this to me?"

The man spoke up this time, "You were only three. You and Elizabeth were in the backyard playing. We went inside for two minutes to make lunch and left you girls alone, I didn't think it mattered. We live in a nice neighborhood, our yard is fenced in, you had each other.."

"Someone came into our yard and took you. Just like that. Elizabeth had run in and kept saying Erika had gone bye bye- but we didn't know the truth. No one could find you. The police, the FBI, our own search parties.." The woman continued.

I sighed, "I don't think I'm your daughter. It must just be a coincidence."

"So you think its a coincidence we are the same age, look exactly the same, and I had a photo of you? There's tons of others at the house!"Elizabeth went on.

"Wait," I began, "Where are we going?"

"Home, of course." The woman said as she smiled at me in the rear view mirror of the car, "You're finally going to be home after fourteen years."

What had I gotten myself into?