9: Meet the Family

a/n: sorry for the super short update today, but i wanted to get something out! extra long chapter soon to balance it out!

knock. knock. knock

"Go away." I yelled as i sniffled back my tears.

I heard Jacob's voice, "It's me. I heard what happened."

I walked over to the door, opened it, and pulled him in before shutting it again. "I don't know what to do. How do I just throw everything away and live a totally different life." 

He put his hand on my back and pulled me in for a hug, "You need to let go and open yourself up to see if you fit in here. Otherwise you're going to continue to feel like an outsider. You'll have Elizabeth and I by your side through it all."

Man, having an older brother had its perks. I sniffled and pushed myself off of him, "Thank you, Jacob."

"No problem, Erika." he smiled, "now clean yourself up and get ready to meet grandma and grandpa."

You've got to be kidding me.

-----

I took one last look in the mirror and sighed. I had no memories of my grandparents at all. Would they think I'm a big mess or see that I tried to put myself together? I never even had experience with grandparents at all. My parents were only children who didn't speak to their parents anymore so it was always just us. No cousins, no grandparents, no aunts or uncles. 

I heard knocking at my door and opened it to see Elizabeth, "They're here and they're super excited to meet you!"

I nodded and followed her down the stairs to see an elderly couple. When they saw me they gasped and the woman said, "Oh my goodness, you girls are finally together again!"

I smiled and hugged her. I instantly felt at peace and loved. Was this normal for grandparents?

 We spent the rest of the night having a family dinner and just talking. I was highly surprised that neither of the grandparents spent the night asking about my past and just tried to get to know me. The topic of my parents didn't come up once and I learned so much about the family. We spent the night laughing and I couldn't help but think maybe it wouldn't be so bad being apart of this family.