14: Getting Away

"Erika, open the door please." Elizabeth begged outside my door.

I wiped away my tears, stood up, and opened the door for her, "What do you want?"

"I don't hate you," she explained, "all I've wanted the past fourteen years was for you to be back home and I couldn't be happier."

I knew she was telling the truth. I felt this weird connection between us, I guess that's thanks to being twins. She was genuine. I sighed and hugged her tightly.

"I really think you should talk to Jacob. He's freaking out." She told me as I let go of her.

I shook my head, "He hates me."

"No he doesn't! He's really confusing, but what teenage boy isn't?" She joked lightly pushing my arm.

I let out a small laugh and nodded. I went over to his door and knocked. He was quick to answer and his face was relieved when he saw it was me.

"You have five minutes." I said, sitting down on his bed.

He didn't waste any time and began to explain himself, "In the family I am the outcast. I didn't lie about that. Nothing i told you was a lie. I'm only popular in school because everyone knows our family and I'm the star of the football team. I just got lucky there and now everyone knows me."

I nodded, it all made sense and things began to come together.

"Now what those girls said, about me saying you just cause us stress, it isn't true. I am really happy we found you and you're everything I thought my other sister would be. You get me and you're making the family feel complete." He finished.

I closed my eyes, "Did you say it though?"

It was silent in the room. He didn't have to answer. I knew he had.

"I didn't mean it."

I stood up and left the room. I heard him saying he was sorry as I shut the door and went down the stairs. I pulled the front door open and left the house. I didn't know where i was going but I knew i couldn't spend one more minute there.

—-

After walking for about fifteen minutes, I stumbled upon a small park behind the elementary school. I sat down on a swing, took out my phone, and began to text Becca, the girl who had defended me in first hour earlier today.

Hey, it's Erika

• Hey! What's going on?

• Just dealing with some family drama lol. I'm so over not fitting in anywhere.

• Well if you ever need me to tell them off too, lmk! Here for you, we're outcasts together :)

I smiled at my phone and felt okay for the first time. At least i knew i had Elizabeth and Becca backing me.

I looked over at the small basketball court the park had and saw a boy doing layups. As i continued to stare, I realized it was Josh, the boy who helped me find my classroom.

I stood up and walked over to him. He didn't notice me come up behind him so when he missed a shot I joked, "You know the ball is supposed to go inside the hoop, right?"