34: Truth Slips Out

"What are we going to do?" Elizabeth worried.

I put the paper down, "Obviously, we need to call Steve."

"No," Annette shook her head, "we are not telling him."

"What? Why not?" I questioned

"He has the right to know." Elizabeth added.

Annette sighed, "Just... give me time. I need to figure out the best time and way to tell him."

I nodded, it seemed fair that she be the one to tell him he wasn't the father of her daughters like he had believed the past 17 years. Annette truly was going through the most out of all of us at this point so whatever she needed in order to feel better, I was willing to do.

Elizabeth's phone buzzed and lit up with one new text from 'Tonyyy BFF'. 

She sighed, "I forgot I told him I'd hang out with him tonight. Is it okay if I go?"

Annette nodded, "Of course, dear. Just don't stay out too late."

She smiled and kissed Annette on the cheek, "See you later."

When she left the room, I pushed the papers towards Annette, "You can keep these. Might help to read more about it."

"Thank you, dear," she told me, "I want you to know I'm not angry with you for finding this out. I understand that you felt inclined to know. I must admit, it is a relief to know."

"But, it isn't the results you wanted." I pointed out.

She nodded, "Yes, of course I know that. Even still, it's good to finally know. This secret has been with me for the past seventeen years now. I'm glad I don't have to hide it anymore."

I smiled and hugged her. She was so strong, I couldn't imagine holding in so much for so many years. I knew she was going to feel guilty still and never truly be happy with these results, but it was good to know she would always have her daughters by her side.

"Why don't you go out tonight? I've noticed you haven't been speaking with Josh much." She pointed out.

I laughed, "Well yeah, I've been grounded."

She handed me my cell phone, "Not anymore."

"Really?" I asked excitedly, grabbing the cell phone from her hands.

Annette laughed, "Yes, I've been thinking a lot and, while you have done some stupid things, I also need to realize you weren't raised by the same rules as your siblings. Therefore, I can't hold you to the same expectations. You need to be able to live your life, Erika."

I felt my eyes water up, "Thank you, Mom. I really appreciate that."

She chuckled and shoved my arm, "Now go get your boy!"

I grinned as I rushed out of the room, instantly calling Josh.

"Hello?" His voice flowed through the phone.

"Hey," I responded quickly, "can you meet me at the park in 5 minutes?"

"Sure, is everything alright?"

"It's perfect." I stated.

He hesitantly responded, "Alright.. well I'll see you soon."

---

I seriously skipped all the way to the park. It was crazy how happy I felt after receiving such bad news. I began to realize that the results of the paternity test didn't matter. No matter how much I hated them, Mike and Lisa would always have a special place in my heart. Likewise, Steve and Annette would always be my parents, regardless of what some stupid test said. Both sets of parents were special to me. 

Josh was already waiting at the park for me. He was slowly swinging back and forward on the swing and lightly waved when he saw me. I slowly walked down to him and sat down next to him.

"How's it going?" I asked, breaking the tension.

He shrugged, "It's going, I guess."

The awkwardness came back again when he didn't ask how I was doing. We both just sat and slowly swung, staring off into the sky.

"What's going on, Erika?" He finally asked.

I puzzled, "What do you mean?"

He sighed, "One day we're happy, the next you're shutting me out, then you're apologizing, then you're yelling at me for confronting your brother, then you're asking me for help to see him, then you're blocking me out again, and now you're calling me saying everything is 'perfect'. I'm just so confused, Erika." 

I instantly stopped swinging and looked over at him, "I know, and I'm sorry, Josh. Things have just been so hectic and stressful so I shut you out and took it out on you."

"I'm your boyfriend, Erika.  You can tell me anything and I'll always support you." He told me.

"I know," I nodded, "there's no excuse, I was wrong and I'm sorry. I want you to be in my life. I want things to be good with us."

He lightly smiled, "That's all I've wanted to hear these past few weeks."

"So, it's time for me to come clean and catch you up so we can move forward." I laughed. 

He nodded and I began to tell him everything. I caught him up on all the events that had been happening, how I had been feeling, and the results of the test. I finished by telling him about the heart-to-heart Annette and I had.

"Wow," He said when I finished, "you really have had a lot going on."

I scoffed, "Yeah, you could definitely say that."

Josh reached over and grabbed my hand, "Well I'm really glad things are okay now. With us and with your family in general."

I smiled and opened my mouth to respond but before I had the chance to, my phone buzzed with a call with no caller ID.

"Hello?" I answered the phone.

"Hi, Erika." Mike's voice boomed through the phone.

I gasped, "Mike? What-"

He quickly cut me off, "I don't have time to talk but you need to know that I know the truth."

"What are you talking about?" I puzzled.

What he said next truly shocked me.

"I know you got a paternity test and I know I'm your true father. You can either meet me in your school's parking lot in an hour and come with Lisa and I or I'm taking Annette to court for both of you girls."

Then, the line went dead.