Dream World

Driftveil City, Unova

×Ryker×

"Come on camera, focus."

A soft earthy brown tone comes into sharp focus on his camera miliseconds before a circular object invades the uninterrupted view. The Deerling is rapidly sucked into it.

"Who ruined my shot?" Ryker returns to his full height, glancing around furiously for the intruder.

"We're allowed to catch any Pokémon we want to." an all too familiar voice chides.

"Adira!"

Auburn hair bouncing, Adira ignores Ryker's frustrated outcry as she scoops up her PokéBall. "Are you ready to go Len?" she asked, releasing her newly caught Blitzle. "If you weren't so busy with your hobby, you'd have more than a weak bug."

Ryker can only gape as Lenna walked over, leading Adira back towards Driftveil City, casting an apologetic look over her shoulder.

"The nerve of that girl!"

Ryker had been taking photos since he was seven, when he'd received his first camera from his parents. At first it was confusing to learn all the functions, but he'd grown to love it. Only through his lens did the world come into focus for him. Only then did his hyper mind calm, his flighty fingers stilling over the buttons.

"I almost had it that time." Ryker whined, casting his Joltik a lost expression. Joltik let a few sparks of electricity burst into the cold morning air sympathetically, waving one foreleg at his trainer from where he sat perched on his shoulder.

Sighing, Ryker trudged deeper into the forest, glancing at his PokéNav as he went. More Deerling and Sawsbuck should be around here somewhere. He'd spent half the morning searching for one already when Adira came along and ruined his perfect shot and the school issued field trip would end in less than two hours.

Joltik gave him a small zap before scurrying away. Ryker halted, leaning against a tree while he waited. He trusted his partner to find other Deerling like he'd found the first. If he went rushing through the foliage like an impatient child, he'd lose any chance he had of seeing any Pokémon. Sure enough, not five minutes later the small arachnid crawled up his leg, then his arm before settling on his shoulder again. Low crackling sounds and a raised foreleg showed Ryker the way to his next model.

"Jumping Juniper." Ryker swore, too surprised to even conceal his presence. Ten yards away stood the most gorgeous creature he'd ever laid eyes on. Hovering on a white cloud, a blue bi-pedal Pokémon sat. As if sensing his presence, the form turned, roaring its disapproval at being spotted.

"THUNDURUS!" Joltik jumped, scurrying to the ground only to hid himself behind his trainer's leg.

Ryker's hands hovered hesitantly above his camera, too afraid to even lower. "I thought you didn't exist." he whispered, mentally kicking himself. Clearly it was real, unless he was dreaming. A sharp zap from his Pokemon assured him it wasn't. Even if you can't see something, that doesn't rule out its existence.

The Bolt Strike Pokémon flew straight at him, stopping short of hitting him. Ryker could only stare, barely noticing when Joltik rushed forward protectively. A short electric conversation allowed Ryker some breathing room, but Thundurus still eyed the pair cautiously.

"Ryker! Where are you?"

The sudden voice startled the trio, Ryker turned instinctively towards the familiar voice but Thundurus was already almost out of sight when he looked back.

"Drats," Ryker bent down, stroking Joltik's head. "I didn't even get a picture."