Chapter 17: I'm Down

George's POV

Apple pies... Cinammon apple pies, Clove apple pies, Blueberry apple pies. The sky was full of pies, the world was pie.

I woke up to the smell of cinammon and apple pie. That could explain the dream... My vision was still slightly blurry, and everything looked like a half color/ half black and white picture. I tried closing my eyes and keeping still, but I felt a strange sort of edginess and I couldn't stop myself from fidgeting, scratching the wooden floor with my nails and moving my legs. I sat up and looked around. Paul was reading on the couch, smoke was coming out of the balcony so I supposed it was Maya, John was probably asleep on Maya's rug and Ringo was nowhere to be seen.

'' Hey George.'' said Paul, putting his book down and looking at me.

'' Hey mate. How's you?'' I responded, perking up. I saw his eyes flicker to the balcony door and his face saddened, for a strange reason I felt happy, I felt like I could laugh and cry at the same time, damn you mushrooms. '' I'm...d...alright.'' he said, thinking it over and trying to smile.

'' You'll tell me eventually.'' I said, smiling at him again. '' Is that apple pie I smell?''

''Yeah, Maya and Ringo'' I saw his hand clench the book tighter when he said the name Ringo.'' made apple cinammon pie. I don't think it's ready yet, unless Ringo already ate it all. ''

'' Lovely.'' I said, trying to make out the figure of a smoking Maya through the balcony glass door but I could see nothing more than smoke, it reminded me of the caterpillar in Alice in Wonderland.

''Stop.'' I heard Paul mutter. Maybe he was talking to himself again, I looked at him and saw that he was watching the balcony door with a pained expression, Maybe not. Hell, I've got to tell Maya how I feel. The smell of the pie was too tempting, so I stood up and headed to the kitchen. Ringo was sitting on the stool, very close to the oven door, watching the pie with hungry eyes and sniffing the air constantly, like a hound sniffing for his hunt. '' Is it ready yet?'' I said, startling him and laughing as he tried to not fall off his stool. ''Not yet. No.'' he said, looking at me and then at the pie again. I bounced lightly on my feet, clearly with a lot of energy, shifting a lot. '' George, coffee helps, you know?'' he said, not taking his eyes off the oven. I danced a bit,  humming a waltz and I reached for the coffee with a hand and for a cup with my other hand, the hand holding the cup was trembling and I couldn't pour it right. '' Give me that before you break something.'' said Ringo, taking my cup and filling it up. '' Here you go.'' he said, handing it back to me. '' Thanks.'' I said as I took it, steadying my hand with the other and took a sip.

'' No problem sweetie.'' he said,  sounding like my mother. '' You're not cursing me with the Hare Krishna anymore?'' he asked, chuckling. '' What?... OH.'' I said, remembering. '' Of course not, I'm sorry mate.'' Ringo continued '' I mean, you know, I understand that you have a thing for Krisna but you can't go around shoving your beliefs down people's throats, specially if you sing a mantra as if it were an enchantment.'' He sounded genuiney mad, I lifted my gaze to his face and saw that he was smiling, his grin going from ear to ear. I laughed with him and I sat on a stool beside him, watching the pie, awaiting the moment that we would have to try it.

                                                              ----------------------------------------------

John's POV

Tree bark. Every surface I touched was made of the rough tree bark, prickling my skin and peeling some of it off violently. I realized it was all a dream when the bark started to change colors, like a colorful slideshow display, and then there was an overwhelming smell of apple and cinammon, the tree collapsed on me and an apple fell on my head, knocking me into unconsciousness.