Chapter 18: Please, mr Postman.

Maya's POV

I had heard John and Paul's entire conversation. And it scared me, alright. I was sure of two things now, Paul loved me and John felt things for me and they were both going to fight over me. I put those two cheerful thoughts out of my mind and concentrated on the noise coming out of the kitchen. I heard a lot of noise, and Ringo's screaming. I ran into the kitchen and pushed him away from the oven door, pulling on some heat-resistant gloves and taking out the pie. The heat of the oven hit me in the face and I scrunched up my nose, bothered, but I didn't let go of the pie and I placed it on the counter.

'' Can I try it first?'' said Ringo, peering over George's shoulder from the doorway.

''Yeah,sure.'' I said, and I saw George pout. '' George, you can try it too.'' I added, winking at him.

They both got their slices first and we all sat down around the wooden table. We all ate in silence, enjoying the meal. I served myself a last slice and left it on my plate, going to the kitchen and coming out with the trash. I opened the door to throw it away and found a letter. I never got mail, so it must have been from my parents. It was a simple white envelope containing two things: a silver chain with a green butterfly charm and a folded letter. I took out the charm and examined it, smiling at the lovely present, and I slipped it back in the envelope, curious about the letter.

''What have you got there? Ringo's going to eat the slice of pie that's sitting so lonely on your plate if you don't hurry.'' said George, from behind me. I turned around to face him and smiled, closing the door behind me and going to sit down at the table again, the letter in my hands. Ringo had smears of apple sauce all over his face, John was licking his finger and Paul was straightening up his black shirt. I opened the letter. The paper was very thick, special paper for ink-pens, the kind my father like writing on. I recognized his penmanship and I began to read:

Dear Maya,

I do not enjoy communicating sad news over a letter, but I do not have a choice as I cannot travel to America right now. Your mother passed away last night. The burial is in two weeks, you need to come as soon as possible to France. 

                                                             I miss her as much as you do

                                                                          I love you Maya, see you soon

                                                                                                         Ton père, James.

My hand balled up into a fist, crushing the letter. No, I thought, No. This can't be happening, this isn't true. I threw the letter to the ground. This isn't real, it isn't happpening, it's just a bad dream, I'll wake up soon enough. Not my mother, not her, my loving mother, the one who taught me to love music, to play the piano, to sing Edith Piaf, no, not her, please, not her.

                          ----------------------------------------------------------------------

George's POV

Maya had a letter in her hand and she was examining something shiny and green. '' Maya?'' I called, reminding her that Ringo was going to eat her slice of pie if she didn't hurry back. She smiled at me, that smile of hers that made my stomach flutter and she closed the door, slipping back the shiny thing she was examining into the envelope. She sat back down and opened her letter, reading it while her brow furrowed in  concentration. Her face suddenly changed. I watched her as her hand closed into a fist, crunching up the letter and how in one swift movement she threw it to the ground. The boys hadn't noticed her sudden mood change. John was too busy licking his fingers, Paul, being vain was brushing his hair and Ringo was too engrossed cleaning his face with a wet cloth. I saw Maya's face turn livid and her hand grab hold of the table, her nails digging into the wood, anchoring herself to reality. I was right beside her in a few strides and I pulled her into a hug. She resisted at first, but then gave in, burying her face into my chest and starting to sob.

                   '' Maya, hey, it's alright, I'm here.'' I whispered, rubbing her back and trying to soothe her. I didn't know why she was in pain, but it hurt me to see her like that.

                                  ------------------------------------------------

Paul's POV

I wasn't paying attention to anyone, neither Maya nor George, until I saw him get up and hug her. I felt jealousy, as always and a strong urge to separate them and to hug Maya myself, but then I noticed that she was crying, muffling her sobs with George's chest. Jealousy was replaced by worry and I got up, asking her what was wrong. She wouldn't answer and she wouldn't stop crying. I stood there, close to her, not knowing what to do for about five minutes. Se lifted her face and stared at me, her face was all red, her green eyes puffy and irritated. Seeing her like this made me feel pain, pain because she was in pain.

''Please, go, all of you. Take the wigs and get out. Go for a ride, take my car, just go, I want to be alone.'' she croaked.

'' But, love...'' started to say John,  standing up too.

''Just go, please. Leave me alone.'' she insisted, her eyes pleading. She buried her face in George's chest and started sobbing again. Ringo silently got up and disappeared, coming back with the wigs and handing each of us our corresponding wig. I was reluctantly pushed outside, John came after me, his face grim and Ringo closed the door, shutting us out of the apartment and away from a crying Maya

                                                 ----------------------------------

George's POV

Ringo left my wig on the table and Paul went out first, the other two boys in tow. Maya looked up at me and whispered: '' You go, too. Please.'' she begged, untangling herself from my hug. I sighed, taking the wig from the table  and kissing her cheek, kissing away a tear.

'' Are you sure?'' I asked, wanting to stay.

'' Yes.'' she said '' Take the paper that's on the floor, you know which one it is, that'll explain everything.'' she said, her voice breaking as tears started streaming down her face again. I hugged her one last time and whispered '' Please remember how I feel about you.'' one of the lines of the song she had inspired.I pulled on my wig and went outside, feeling the lump the paper made in my pant pocket and wanting to read it so I could find a way to end the pain Maya was in.