Chapter 29: That Means A Lot

Maya's POV

I took a drink of my coffee, trying to erase the trace of Jimmy's lips on them. I felt confused. I'd never thought about Jimmy that way... and then, well, there he was. Paul cleared his throat again and I looked up at him, but his face was closed. 

''Sleep alright?'' he asked

''Yes, and you?'' I answered, looking at the bandage on his forehead and walking towards him to straighten it. He pulled away from my touch.

''Yes. Jimmy sure knows how to bandage.'' he said, his voice strained. I placed the cup of coffee in his hands and nodded, walking away from him as he had denied my help.

''Are you going to get me home, or should I walk?'' he said sarcastically, his eyes going from Jimmy to me, seeking my face.

''I came here to get you, do you feel well enough to go home?'' I said, hurt by how he was treating me.

''Yeah, sure.'' he shrugged and picked up his blong wig , which was sprawled on the floor. ''I'll wait for you outside.'' Before I could stop him, I heard the door close and the bells tinkle wildy. 

''Bye, Jimmy.'' I said, turning around.

''You're not even going to hug me goodbye?''

''Goodbye?''

''Aren't you leaving for Paris soon?''

''Oh, right, yes.'' I said, wrapping my arms around him and hugging him. He smelt as good as his shop and I smiled, wanting to take that smell with me as a memory. I stepped out of his arms and kissed his cheek.

''Goodbye Jimmy, I'll see you when you come visit me, and I'll write.'' I headed for the door, and went outside, finding Paul leaning against a lamppost, a recently lit cigarette in his mouth. 

''Shall we?'' I said, trying to meet his eyes. He just shrugged and started walking.

''Paul. Stop and wait here.'' I told him as we walked in front of my coffee shop. I came inside, and went behind the counter, not bothering to say hi, I pulled two bottles of coca cola from the small fridge and two sandwiches from the counter. I said hi to Robert again and threw a few coins next to the cash register. Before I left, I saw a hat perched on the coat hanger that was big enough to hide ones face while wearing it and I took it, not bothering to turn around to the sound of an alarmed Hey, that's my hat!

Paul was about to light another cigarette when I took his hand, pulling him along with me in the direction of a park.

''Where are we going?'' he asked

''We're going to have a picnic at the park.'' 

''But...'' he started to say, looking for an excuse.

''Shut up and come, Paul.'' I responded, taking a turn and opening the gate to the park. I found ourselves a picnic table shaded by some trees and sat down, Paul stared at me funnily. He looked clearly uncomfortable.

                         -----------------------

Paul's POV

I sat down in front of her, on the cold wooden picnic table and I tried to smile. I couldn't though, the image of Jimmy kissing her seemed to be replaying in my brain. She took off my wig and flopped the hat on my head.

''Better?'' she asked, trying to meet my eyes again, and this time I did, and nodded.

''I'm not trying to hurt you.'' she said, reading the sadness in my eyes.

''Your friend is.'' I snapped at her, drawling out the word friend. Calm thyself, now. MAMA BATES CALM DOWN RIGHT NOW. SHH. Deep breaths. Om. Shut up.

''Paul. Jimmy kissed me. I didn't kiss him back.''

''Didn't look like it.''

'' WHY AM I EVEN TELLING YOU THIS? It's not like you care.''

''I do care.''

''Why am I justifying myself? I owe you nothing, McCartney.'' she suddenly said, her voice becoming distant as she was lost in thought.

She's actually right. Why is she justifying herself? UNLESS. UNLESS. 

I sighed and took off the hat, brushing the hair out of my eyes and watching her intently. I heard a cry, and a high pitched voice scream histerically.

''IT'S PAUL MCCARTNEY.''

Maya snapped out of her thoughts and grabbed my wrist, pulling me with her and throwing me in one of the bushes, falling on top of me and pressing her hand to my mouth because I was laughing uncontrollably. I heard a few giggling voices, screaming out my name.

''Where is he? I swear I saw him.'' one of them said, her voice turning sad.

''Are you drunk Chrissy?'' responded another voice.

''No.'' the first voice snapped

''Maybe you imagined things.'' said the second voice. We heard a sigh and the soft footsteps retreating and the park gate giving a sound as it was closed. Maya took her hand off my mouth but she didn't move off me and we locked eyes. 

''I've got you deep in the heart of me. So deep in my heart that you're really a part of me. I've got you under my skin. I'd tried so to not give in. I said to myself, this affair never will go so well. But why should I try to resist, when, baby, I know down well. I've got you under my skin.'' she sung under her breath, loud enough for me to hear, and then, she got off me, brushing the grass out of her hair and crawling out of the bush. She stood under the tree, watching a butterfly fly on a flower beside her and I hugged her from behind, wrapping my arms around her waist and pressing my mouth to her ear.

''If you are but a dream, I hope I never waken, It's more than I could bear to find that I'm forsaken.I long to kiss you, but I would not dare, I am so afraid, you may vanish in the air. '' I sung to her softly and I felt her shiver as my cool breath tickled her ear. 

''I'm sorry about Jimmy.'' she said

''It's alright, love.''

''No, it's not. I'm sorry I hurt you, I didn't even know that would happen. I was too blind...''

''You are, a little naive when it comes to people liking you.'' I said chuckling softly

''I like you McCartney.'' she said after a while.

''And I like you Maya.'' I answered with a smile, feeling triunfant. She turned around and she placed her lips softly against mine. I responded instantly, my lips moving in coordination with hers, and we were locked in that embrace until we had to gasp for air and we laughed lightly. She laced her fingers with mine and I squeezed her hand, smiling up at her. 

''And the love birds have finally done it, ladies and gentlemen.'' called Ringo's voice from the tree on top of us and I jumped up in surprise. 

''Ringo, what the... '' started to say Maya as she offered her hand to him so he could climb down.

''Hi.'' called John from behind some bushes as he stood up and brushed grass and dirt off his clean white shirt.

''We came to look for you.'' said George, laughing lightly as he appeared from behind me and placed his hand on my shoulder, squeezing it. ''And Jimmy told us you left with Maya.''

''Then, we heard these crazy birds yelling your name, and we followed.'' said John, sitting down on the picnic table and unwrapping one of the sandwiches.

''Weren't you going to invite us to this picnic?'' asked Ringo as he sat beside John and unwrapped the other sandwich. Maya just laughed and sat in front of them. George sat on her right side and I sat on her left. We linked hands and set them on the table, John and Ringo didn't seem to bother, only George, looked slightly surprised , but then, he shrugged and smiled, telling Ringo to give him half of  his sandwich.