Chapter 22: Girl

George's POV

I was sitting in the meadow again, this time, my hair had grown down to my shoulders, and I had a beard, and a mustache. I was wearing the red sergeant vest I'd bought at the hippy store and I had a sitar in my hands. Maya was there too. She was lighting a few candles all around her and she had flowers braided in her hair. This time, a new song filled the meadow

Try to realise it's all within yourself

No one else can make you change
And to see you're really only very small
And life flows within you and without you 

The words bounced around the meadow, like an echo, and they were brutally interrupted by two whispering voices.

'' Good night Maya.''

''Good night John.''

I shifted a little, trying to get comfortable again and the voices were drowned by the eerie echo of the  song lyrics and the sitar.

                                             -----------------------------------------------

Paul's POV

I was the first to wake up. I stretched, groaning as my back ached. I opened my eyes, soft warm light was filtrating through the thick curtains and the room had a green haze to it. Maya was asleep, curled up, her arms around her legs, pressing them to her chest, in a fetal position.

Her back will hurt much worse than mine. Up already, Norman dear? Yes, I'm hungry. I should make breakfast. And give Maya her flowers... Or maybe not. Flowers seem a little too cheerful. You're right about that. I'd put them in a vase by the door. Right.

I sang Love Me Do softly under my breath and got up. Ringo was starting to move a little, and I knew he would be waking up soon. I went looking for fresh clothes and got in the shower. 

I need to talk to Maya. I'm the one who's closer to understanding her, about her mum. I stood in the shower for a while, submerged in my thoughts when I remembered that I had to make breakfast. I got out, dressed hastily and headed to the kitchen. I made a stack of pancakes, as usual and cut fresh fruit  to go along with it. I set the table and headed to Maya's room.

I woke each boy up, softly, trying not to startle Maya and one by one, they went to sit at the breakfast table. I sat beside Maya and took her hand in mine. I caressed her cheek and whispered softly in her ear ''Maya, love, it's time to wake up.'' She groaned and moved around

'' I don't want to eat, I'm not hungry.'' she said again. 

''You have to eat, Maya. Come on, get up, I made pancakes.'' I said, while I kissed her neck and she giggled lightly. She got up and and made me get out of her room while she got dressed. I sat at the table with the boys, joining the usual morning chatter.

''Sleep alright?'' said Ringo

'' Just fiiiiiiine.'' said John, smiling a little too much.

''My dreams are getting weird again.'' said George between mouthfuls. 

'' Please tell me you're not dreaming hippy again.'' said John

'' Yes, I am.'' responded George

'' Well as long as you don't start dreaming with Hare Krishna cows and sheep I think you'll be alright.'' he said jokingly, his mood undisturbed. Maya came out of her room, her hair pulled up in a messy bun, wearing a large sweater over checkered pants.

'' Good morning.'' she whispered and she served herself some pancakes.

''Sleep well?'' asked Ringo, beating me by asking first. She nodded a little, her eyes glassy for a second, but she blinked and she concentrated on her pancakes. 

''My condolences.'' said George, placing a hand on top of her and smiling a little. She nodded and gave him a small smile. The doorbell suddenly rang and George got up to get it.

                                                    ---------------------------------

George's POV

I opened the door, forgetting for a moment that I was the George Harrison from the Beatles and not just some random guy. A guy with brown hair and blue eyes was standing in the doorway. 

'' Hey Maya...'' he said not looking up until he saw me and realized who I was. '' Holy Krisna it's you. It really is you. '' I cleared my throat, annoyed. '' And, you want?'' I said.

''Oh, I wanted to talk to Maya.'' he said. ''It's so nice to meet you Mr Harrison'' he said, shaking my hand  and practically shouting it.

''Shh. Come in.'' I said, inviting him in so he would shut up for a while. 

He followed me to the breakfast table and I sat down again, while he stood a little awkwardly, playing with one of his many string bracelets. Maya looked up and her eyes widened.

''Jimmy?'' she said, smiling. '' Yeah, hi.'' he responded, embarrassed and that was when I noticed why he was acting so shy and so jumpy at the same time, he liked her. He liked Maya. That's why. I regretted inviting him in, but I pushed the thought away, not taking my eyes off any of them.

''What are you doing here?'' she asked

'' I wanted to talk to you about something...'' he said, scratching his head and avoiding to meet Paul's eyes because Paul was staring at him with such hatred he could have burnt a hole through his head. 

'' Well... tell me.'' she said

''Alone.'' he said in a whisper and I saw Paul clench his fist. Maya stood up and she guided him to the balcony, shutting the door closed behind them.

                                         -------------------------------------------------

Maya's POV

Jimmy's visit had more than just surprised me. He was just a friend, a hippy friend, whom I shared music and records with. He didn't really like people calling him Jimmy, but I'd stuck to calling him that because he reminded me of Jimmy Page, from the Yardbirds, and I really loved Jimmy Page. 

'' You look tired Maya, you have dark circles under your eyes.'' he said while he sat on the balcony floor

''Yeah, I'm tired.'' I said, sighing and sitting down in front of him. '' So, what did you want to tell me?''

''I just wanted to check on you... And to tell you that I'm happy to know you.'' he said, playing with his hands, not meeting my eyes.

''I'm leaving.'' I said

'' When? Where? Why?''

''In two weeks. Paris. My mom died.''

''I'm so sorry.'' he said, pulling me into a hug. He smelt like freshly cut grass and wood. 

''It's alright.'' I said. I actually felt better. John's words had helped me. I wasn't going to forget my mother, but I wasn't going to stop living for her either. '' I'm going to try to give my writing a shot in France, or England. I don't know. I just know I'm leaving this country, for good. ''

''You'll write to me?'' he said, his eyes sad.

''Yeah, I promise Jimmy.'' I said, smiling a little

''Now, I'm curious. How in the Krisna did you end up with the Beatles in your home?''

'' I'll write you a letter telling you all about it.'' I said, laughing and patting his back. '' Come have some pancakes with us.'' 

 (( kind of a happier chapter, sorry if it's short, i'll update as soon as I can <3))