Chapter 23: For No One

Paul's POV

I tried to behave nicely. I really tried. Trying isn't enough, though. You didn't have to go all Mama Bates on him, you know that, right? He was pushing his luck. He was being friendly.

George's POV

I heard the door of the balcony open and I plastered a smile on my face, I wasn't going to act rashly, and I was going to keep myself centered. Maya made Jimmy sit beside her, on my side, because Paul was acting rather strangely. I knew Paul was trying to control himself but it wasn't helping much.

'' So... um, how do you two know each other?'' I asked, curious while Jimmy served himself some pancakes.

''Her café is right beside my store.'' he said, while he chewed.

''Oh that's right.'' said John while he took a drink from his coffee.

'' You know him, John?'' asked Maya

''Yeah, I met him yesterday.'' said Jimmy. '' By the way, I still can't believe you're actually here.'' he added, looking at us as if we were an illusion, he reminded me a lot of Maya, how she'd claimed that she was high when we had met her. 

'' I can't believe you're here.'' grumbled Paul loud enough for everyone to hear. 

'' So... What are you guys doing here?'' asked Jimmy

'' Well... we're enjoying the holidays and we wanted to visit our ol' chap Maya.'' said John, faking a scottish accent

 '' You know them?'' asked Jimmy, facing Maya again.

'' No, we just met her.'' said Ringo. 

''Oh.'' said Jimmy. ''Right.''

The conversation died off and we could only hear the sounds of forks scraping on plates.

''Well. I should probably go.'' said Jimmy, smiling and getting up. 

''Probably.'' mumbled Paul

Maya shot him a look and Paul shrugged it off.

''Call me if you need anything. Remember to write to me, and that I'm here. You can come to my shop whenever.'' he said, scratching his head. 

''Bye.'' I waved

I saw him head towards the door and Maya walked behind him.

Paul's POV

I followed Maya with my eyes and even if I didn't want to eavesdrop, I did.

'' Be careful, Maya.'' he said in a low voice

'' What? Why?''

'' They're rockstars... You know how rockstars are..'' he whispered and I felt a sudden rush of anger run through me.

''Jealous bastard.'' I said loud enough and I saw his head snap in my direction. 

''Did you say something?'' said Maya.

''No, nothing.'' I said innocently and I saw Jimmy scowl.

I got up and walked to Maya while Jimmy went out the door. 

''It's just that some people should not talk lies about others just because they don't have the courage to do things.'' I said, looking at Jimmy.

''Oh. You arrogant...'' started to say Jimmy but I closed the door in his face.

'' Paul, what is wrong with you?'' Maya said, placing her hands on her hips.

''Nothing's wrong.'' I said

'' Yeah, you got that right.''

'' I was jealous, alright? Jealous of the way he looks at you. Happy?'' I said as she went to sit in the table again and completely ignored me.