SIX.

"When did you realise?"

___

AFTER SCHOOL on Tuesday, Peter decided to walk to the train with Ned. Sometimes he and Ned would go on the train together and Peter would walk home with him, as his house was on the way. They probably did it about 2 or 3 nights a week, the other days being the time Peter had practice for Deca with Ned, or he would hangout with Cora.

"Hey, Peter?" Ned spoke up, nudging his best friend's elbow lightly with his own. "You okay, man?" He asked once Peter looked at him. Peter could only put up a strong front for so long, and Cora could fall for it, but Ned wouldn't. Ned and May knew him better than anyone, Ned being his best friend of 6 years and May having raised him since he was a small child.

"Yeah, I'm okay." Peter lied right through his teeth, Ned not believing any one of the 3 words he had said.

"No, you're not. What's wrong?" He asked, being able to read Peter like a book ever since he found out he was Spider-Man almost a year ago. Peter let out a soft sigh, knowing Ned wasn't going to let it go anytime soon.

"It's uh.. it's Cora." Peter told him, glancing at the boy as he walked down the street. They were going slower, not needing to catch the train for another hour.

Ned frowned a bit, almost a pout. "What happened?"

"I told her that I love her, I did just last night.." He started, looming down at his shoes as he spoke. "She didn't say it back, so imagine how that feels."

His best friend dropped his shoulders, his frown even more evident. "I'm sorry, Peter.." he trailed off, not entirely sure what to say, the two walking in silence for a few moments before Ned perked up again. "You know, my mom told me something a while back about love." He mentioned, and Peter looked at him.

"What was it?"

"That it isn't gradual." Ned said, before correcting himself when Peter looked at him confused. "Well, it is, but you don't realise it right away. She says that it hits you like a ton of bricks when they do something, whatever that something might be. When did you realise it? For Cora?" He asked, and Peter felt the first, small, genuine smile appear on his face for the first time since Cora left his apartment the day before.

"About a month ago." Peter answered, nodding a bit. "We were at my place in my room, and she was playing her music which is very old to us.. I think it was Ain't No Mountain High Enough by Marvin Gaye, a 60s or 70s song. She was singing the lyrics and dancing around my room, looking ridiculous, but she was still doing it even though I was there. She tried so hard to get me to join her until she literally pulled me off my bed and made me dance. I don't know what it was, but it clicked for me then." Peter explained, the tone of his voice enough to express how much that one moment meant to him. Ned only stared at him with wide eyes, jaw dropped slightly.