EIGHT.

"I'm trying to not step on your toes

"I'm trying to not step on your toes."

____

MORE LETTERS. Over the course of the past week since she went out for ice cream with Peter, Cora had received another of those mysterious letters, and she had no idea where they were coming from or how they were getting to her. All she knew was that they seemed to be borderline threatening, and that horrid shadow on the wall was terrorizing her into sleep deprivation just with its presence.

Peter was completely unaware that Cora was receiving the letters. After the day out for ice cream, when he insisted he didn't see it, She never told him about it again if she saw it while with him. She didn't know if it was real or if it wasn't, but it was there. She was subconsciously thinking she was going crazy, but she pushed that away. The letters showed up whenever the shadow did, and she could physically hold the letters. They were real, as was the shadow.

Cora had been able to keep up a good front around Peter. After he seemed to brush off their problem with three special words on Monday, it relieved much of her stress. Over the years of Cora's hardships, she had learned how to appear perfectly okay and silent cry, without anyone ever noticing. Even Peter.

The only two reasons Cora had never told Peter about seeing the shadow and the letters were that one, Peter couldn't see it, he would think she's legitimately insane. Two, the letters threatened her to keep it to herself, in a way that reminded her of her mother's threats against Peter many months ago. The letters phrasing was similar to her mother's, almost threatening the life of someone dear to her, without specifying who.

So, there Cora was on Friday evening, her shaky hands holding the notes in her hands while her little sister pranced around her room, stumbling in Cora's heels that she was supposed to be putting on.

"How are you supposed to dance in these?!" Penny exclaimed, "you're gonna fall right onto Peter!"

Cora quickly turned, dropping the notes onto her desk and making her way over to her sister. She quickly grabbed her sister underneath her arms just before she tripped, hoisting her up to sit on her bed.

"No, I won't." Cora said softly, swiftly pulling the heels off her sister. "I won't, because the heels fit me, you goofball." She said with a small giggle, standing up straight again before going to her closet and taking the dress out. She had already done her hair and her makeup, having burnt her fingers a couple of times with the curling iron.

"Are you gonna put on your dress now?" Penny bugged her, following Cora to her closet. Cora only nodded, pulling out the royal blue dress from her closet, still in the protective bag.