FIVE.

"He what?"

"He what?"

____

CORA WALKED into her house, slamming the door behind her once she was inside. The wooden door slamming shut made both her sister and John jump, the two sitting at the kitchen table and working on Penny's homework together. When Cora looked up and saw them, she quickly wiped away her tears and took off her shoes, trying to avoid talking about what happened at Peter's place.

Cora felt absolutely horrible afterwards. It didn't hit her until she was halfway home just how much she probably hurt him; she was lucky enough that she didn't know the boy was sitting in his room after she left, holding back his own tears because he regret saying it. Not because he didn't love her, he really did. He regretted it because she couldn't say it back.

Hurting Peter in any way was something Cora hated, so when she realised she probably hurt him by ignoring his feelings about her walking alone, she apologised (of course, because Michelle drove her there.) Yet, she still made it worse, and hurt him even more.

"Cora?" John spoke up, watching his daughter frantically wipe her tears away. "Honey, what's wrong? I thought you were hanging out with Michelle tonight.." He said as he slowly stood from the table and made his way across the room to Cora.

"No, I went to Peter's." She said, dropping her bag down on the bench beside the door. John grew more concerned, placing as gentle hand on her shoulder.

"Did he do something?" He asked, and Cora quickly shook her head.

"No, no, Peter- he- he would never, you know that! It's just.." Cora sighed, crossing her arms. "I went over to apologise because we got into an argument the other night but, y'know me, I just made it worse!" She exclaimed, shrugging before walking to the kitchen.

Penny looked up, deciding to just stay quiet. She knew that when Cora was upset or was best to just let her vent and get it all out, and save questions for later.

"I always screw it up! Every single problem we have had has been my fault! I can't do anything right, even if I plan it out perfectly, something goes wrong." Cora ranted, turning on the red kettle so she could make her hot chocolate, even in the hot weather of late May.

"Sweetie, you haven't even told me what happened." John told her in a calm tone, having followed her to the kitchen.

Cora took a deep breath, gripping the white counter tightly, but held off on her strength so she wouldn't snap the granite off. She looked at her dad who was next to her, just a couple of feet away.

"He told me he loves me."

John's eyes widened, his eyebrows raising along with them. Penny's jaw dropped, looking between her dad and her sister.