vii. a toast - 'to the kid!'

| Eli and Riley play a game of basketball and Wyatt decides to talk to Riley about something that's he's received |

    THE BALL swooshes through the bet and bounces on the driveway once before Riley catches it in her hand. She sighs while turning to face Eli who's hunched over, out of breath.

    His eyes close as a droplet of sweat falls off from the drenched tips of his hair. Riley tosses the ball over as he stands up straight. Eli tucks it between his hip and his arm, still gasping for breath.

    Riley watches him, only sweating a little down her back. A little after her encounter with Wyatt, she remembered Eli asking her if she wanted to shoot some hoops. And boy, did she want to — especially knowing that someone wasn't going to get upset.

    So she'd changed into a more appropriate outfit, still not being able to beat the L.A. heat, and plays a game with Eli.

    She watches him bounce the ball while walking towards her, panting. She opens up a bottle of untouched water and he stops.

    "I don't understand," Eli says, staring at her with amazement, "were you on a team or something back in San Fran?"

   "Nope," Riley replies, then chugs down on some of the water. She wipes her mouth clean and takes the ball from him, "I was moving around too much to join a team."

    She steps back a couple feet and shoots the ball. They watch as it goes into the air, hits the backboard and falls into the net with a swish.

    "There was this one family and their oldest son was great at basketball. And I mean great." She begins to explain, shooting the ball again. "Like he had a full ride and everything."

    "Yeah?"

    "Yeah." She shoots again. "One day he saw me playing and said that I was doing everything wrong — my stand, my balance. Anyways, he gave me pointers and practiced with me everyday. Never joined a team."

   "Wow." Eli remarks, snatching the ball as it falls swiftly through the hoop. "We're going back to Chicago a little after the school year starts. You should join the team. The girl's team could use you."

"Are they really that bad?" Riley asks, her hands on her hips and her head tilting to the side. Eli shrugs.

    "Nah, but they could use some extra help."

    "I understand, the girls team back in San Francisco aren't so great either."

Eli holds up his water bottle high in the air and confidently smiles.