viii. a basketball god

| theres a two on two game of basketball, sandwiches and big news Jennifer tells Riley |

    "AND THAT'S another point!" Riley exclaims as she makes another hoop, causing both Doug and Wyatt to groan in unison.

    "Alright!" Eli claps proudly. He high-fives Riley as she turns around with the ball set on her hip. "That's what I'm talking about!"

    She winks at Wyatt who's hunched over, breathing heavily as sweat falls off of him like rain. Doug, who's somewhat drenched as well, wheezes while he holds a hand up.

    "I call for a time out." He manages to wheeze out, stumbling over to where his water bottle sits, half full.

    It has been several days since Wyatt had told the news to Riley about her possibly getting to go to Canada. And since that day, the two of them had waited and waited for answer from the director.

    Riley eventually had learned that his name is Andres, but prefers Andy, and has directed other horror movies.

    Wyatt doesn't give her much information about what character he is going to play and about the plot. It's confidential, just like every other movie. And Riley had respected that.

    It's now Saturday afternoon and it's about a week until Wyatt would be leaving for Canada. And still no answer.

    Since then, Riley has grown more and more anxious. Each day passing by bearing no news — she has to get her mind off of the subject.

    So, she had suggested playing a two on two game of basketball. And surprisingly, when asked if he wanted to play, Wyatt had accepted.

    "Still no answer about Canada, huh?" Eli asks Riley while taking a sip of water. Riley shakes her head sadly and doesn't say anything.

    "Well I hope you get to go," he says. "Although, it'd be nice if you stayed and played basketball."

    "I know," she says, bouncing the ball again and shooting it. She watches as it falls swiftly through the net. She tosses the ball to Eli, "maybe they'll have a basketball court or something."

    "Like you need extra practice," he comments, shooting the ball and missing the hoop. "If anyone needs practice, it's me. You're like.. some basketball god."

"I think the term you're looking for is goddess, Eli," Doug laughs, then starts to feel his stomach rumble. "Anyone up for some lunch?"