Chapter 17

Dedicated to: @offikrissi . Thank you so much for voting on my story, and for constantly being supportive of my story. You don't know how happy I get seeing your name on my notifications when I release a new chapter. So, this chapter is for you. 

_________

Ryland's hair whips around her face, the strong force of the helicopters making it difficult to stand upright.

"Saviour one-cero. This is ground element"She hears a soldier exclaims into their Radio.

Ryland walks forward, stopping when she is standing in the middle of Deadshot and Rick, who is looking forward at the helicopter, which is hovering above ground.

Both Ryland and Rick turn to look at each other, making eye contact briefly. Then, Ryland clears her throat, watching him for a moment more before both turning to look forward.

"Saviour one-cero. Do you copy?" The soldiers asks again, wondering why the helicopter isn't landing.

Ryland's arms cross over her chest, and she shifts her weight from one foot to another, waiting for the helicopter to land.

"Saviour one cero. The landing zone is clear" He repeats, his voice rising.

Rylands eyebrows furrow, and she turns to look at Rick, who is also staring at the helicopter in confusion.

"Rick. What's going on?" She finally asks, for a moment forgetting she was mad at him, and only concentrated on the problem in front of them.

Rick continues to look at the helicopter with suspicion, his jaw clutched tight.

"I don't know, Ry" He says simply, looking around the roof of the building. And then, realisation dawns on him. His head jerks back to look at the helicopter, and he purses his lips.

He looks at Deadshot, making eye contact for a moment, before turning back to look at the helicopter.

"Our birds been jacked" Rick finally says, as he pushes Ryland roughly behind him and points his gun at the Helicopter.

"Light it up!" He screams, aiming his gun at the helicopter.

Instantly, a fire of bullets is rained down, making Ryland flinch as she covers her her head, her hair flowing in all directions.

She crouches down, crawling until she is behind a large wooden box, and then she pants for breath, looking around her as she sees dozens of soldiers drop dead like flies, the sound of multiple guns being fired directly on her ears.

She shakes her head, turning to look at her hands. And then curses.

"Why is this happening?" She whispers desperately to herself as she watches the red mist come out of her hands, except it is in a much larger scale now.

She shuts her eyes tightly, trying to block out the noise of screaming soldiers and machine guns being fired, and closes her hands into fists, trying to make it stop, in the process, digging nail marks into the palm of her hands.

After a few seconds, she opens her eyes, and let's out a relived sigh when she sees the red mist has disappeared.

Slowly, she turns around, facing the box, and peeks over the edge.

Her eyes widen in horror as she sees red lasers shoot from the helicopter and into solders, knocking them into the ground. Dead.

And then, she sees the unexpected. The Joker.

Laughing hysterically and shooting at soldiers like a mad man, he stands on the helicopter.

Her eyes shift to Rick, who is besides her, taking cover behind another large box, and is shooting the helicopter, one eye closed for aim.