Chapter 21

Rick walks forward, a defeated stance on his stride, his hair matted into his face because of the rain, and his eyes red from what might have been crying. 

He had made a promise. He had made a promise to Ryland, to make sure she would be safe, and that they would be together. He had also made a promise to her, that he would try to bring her sister back. And that was something that he could not do without the team. 

 Ryland walks behind him, her now hair loose behind her, while she shivers in her wet clothing. Her hands shake, not denying the fact that she is scared and nervous about where this conversation might go. 

Rick walks into the room, the door creaking as he opens it, causing all of the team's heads to turn. 

Both of them stop walking, and Rick motions at Ryland to sit on one of the tables. She nods, looking at the whole team and then at Rick before sitting down, looking at her hands silently. 

Then Rick walks ahead, across the bar, going past Boomerang, who is sitting on the bar. He looks at every individual before continuing to walk forward. 

He reaches the end of the bar, and sits down besides Deadshot, his left side being taken by Chato. 

"We don't want you here" Harley growls, which causes Ryland to look up at her,  as does Rick. 

Her eyes start to water and she looks at Deadshot. 

"Did you get to the part of the binder where it said she was Ryland's sister?" he asks, is bloodshot eyes watering the slightest bit as he nods at Ryland. 

Deadshot nods, looking forward and messing with his shot glass. Then he looks at Rick. 

"Yeah. It also said she slept with you. I've never been with a witch before. What's that like?" He asks Rick, defiant. 

Rick takes in a nervous breath, eyeing Ryland, who is still sitting there, looking out the window at the starless night.

"Yeah" Deadshot looks at Harley, who is staring at Rick, wide eyed. 

"Apparently that's why the creatures chase him all the time. 'cause uh" He pauses and points behind him at Ryland. 

"The witch inside of her is scared of him. So is the other one"

Rick looks at Ryland, who is sitting on the edge of the chair, watching as they have their conversation. 

Rick nods, looking at the table. He takes a breath, before looking at Deadshot with vulnerable eyes. 

"The only woman I've ever cared about, has a monster living inside of her" He says softly, earning a look from Deadshot. 

"If I don't stop the witch, Ryland's going to join her, and then it's over."

He stares at Deadhsot. 

"Everything" he pauses, looking at his hands "And she's all I've ever had, and her sister means the world to her, she's the one who's over there, possessed by that, monster" He whispers, heaving out a breath as he looks at the table. 

Then he takes off his device from his hand, smashing into the table and then throwing it into the bar behind them. 

"You're free to go" 

Ryland watches as Boomerang jolts out of his seat, making brief eye contact wth her as he passes, throwing the door open and running out. 

Ryland stands up slowly, walking towards Rick and standing behind him and Deadshot, watching as Rick pulls out a packet of letters from his pocket and slides them to Deadhsot. 

"You daughter writes you everyday" he looks at Deadshot, who is smiling softly, staring at the letters. 

"Every single day" 

There's a moment of silence, and Ryland watches, her breath hitching on her throat as Deadshot picks up a letter from the pile, staring at it. 

Then Rick stands up, touching Ryland's arm softly for a second, and then moving forward, not making eye contact with any of them. 

Ryland starts to trail after him, but stops when she sees Deadshot put an arm in front of Rick, stopping him from walking. 

"You've had these all this time?" he asks, motioning to the letters he is holding in his hand. 

Rick nods sombrely, avoiding eye contact as he stares at the floor. 

"You had letters from my daughter the whole time?" Deadshot asks, anger on his tone. 

Deadshot raises his fist, ready to strike him, but makes eye contact with Ryland, who stands behind Rick, her palen face staring back at him. 

His fist drops, and he hesitates, before turning to look at Rick. 

"I'm gonna get you there" He finally says, making Ryland sigh in relief. 

"And you're gonna end this. Im'ma carry your ass if I have to. Because this is going to be like a chapter, in the bible" Deadshot shakes his head. 

"And everyone is gonna know what we did" 

Rick nods, still not smiling as he takes a look at Ryland behind him, who also has bags under her pale face. 

"Mi daughter is going to know that her daddy is not a piece of shit" he finally says, before walking forward and exiting the building. 

Both Ryland and Rick watch as he goes, then turning to look at the rest of the people in the room. 

Ryland stares at Harley, who is watching the whole exchange. 

Then Harley shrugs happily. 

"I'll come!" She says, as she steps around the bar and follows Ryland and Rick, who are already exiting the room behind Deadshot. 

And so the team follows Ryland and Rick, into the big circle of light. 

Ryland takes in a breath looking behind her at the team. 

Harley walks with a confident stride, her bat over her shoulder. 

Deadhsot walks besides Ryland, his gun set high on his arms as he stares at the ring of light above them. 

KC growls, walking with a strong stride as he walks forward. 

And so they walk, going to what might be their death sentences.