Chapter 19

Percy had never been to a muggle party, much less a school dance. The only kind of social events he'd ever gone to were balls and formal dinners, all of them high class, and with only the most important and influential of purebloods and (some) half bloods invited. This... informal party filled to the brim with muggle children wasn't exactly an environment he was used to.

Red and black (the colours of the school, perhaps?) balloons covered the gym floor and some were floating in the ceiling. A bunch of male students were kicking it to each others faces and trying to strangle their friends with the decorations. Girls wearing bright colored pants and tops were spread around the room in groups, some talking, others were wielding lipstick like weapons and surrounding lone boys to attack their faces with makeup.

Percy must've been standing there with a bewildered expression or something because Thalia snorted. "Not what you expecting, rich boy?"

The son of Poseidon shook his head. "I admit... the parties I've attended before were more of the... formal sort. Is this what a muggle school dance is like?" He murmured this question underneath his breath, slightly overwhelmed by the loud music playing and feeling more than a little out of place. Before Thalia could question what the hell a muggle was, Grover nodded towards some younger kids arguing by the bleachers.

"There they are." The satyr murmured and Percy followed his gaze to a young girl and an even younger boy. The girl, obviously the older sister, wore a floppy green hat and was scolding her little brother who was shuffling what looked to be a deck of cards. Both had olive skin and silky black hair and were using their hands a lot to communicate, the girl kept looking around around the gym as if she was paranoid about something and judging by her slightly tense movements she was.

"Are they aware of their heritage?" Percy asked and Grover shook his head.

"You know how it is. The moment they realize who they are their scents would get stronger, it might put them into more danger." The raven haired boy wondered briefly how that worked, as someone who lived behind magical protective wards most of his life Percy had never had to worry about his scent attracting monsters, even if, he was told time and time again by monsters, he smelled exceptionally delicious.

"We should get them out now, then." Before he could move forwards, however, Thalia put her hand on his shoulder to stop him.

"We have to be more cautious, I don't know how long your magic or whatever will keep Thorn at bay, but he could come in at any moment. We'll have to act like students then gradually get closer to those two." The spiky haired girl reasoned.

Percy mentally berated himself for not thinking about that sooner, drawing attention to themselves would be unnecessary, and if it could involve the schoolchildren around them, potentially very dangerous.

"Don't look at those kids either, we don't want them to be suspicious of us either, and it would throw Thorn off to smell three powerful demigods somewhere else in this room." Annabeth ordered, and without further conversation the daughter of Zeus grabbed Grover's hand and dragged him off further into the gym, saying something about dancing, something called Green Day and mingling.

Now left alone with Annabeth, Percy turned to his friend and jokingly bowed. "Well? Would you like to dance, my lady?" The young wizard smirked and she punched him lightly on the shoulder before accepting his hand. The two glided towards the dance floor where Percy placed one hand on her waist, Annabeth clasped his other hand and they both swayed slightly to the music.

"You're not so bad at this, Riddle." the daughter of Athena commented, not really surprised as she knew her friend was born into some rich family that probably insisted he knew the basics of ballroom dancing. She expected him to be graceful, like he always seemed to be, weather it be in a fight to the death or waltzing.