Chapter 34

Tonight. They had to free Lady Artemis and Annabeth tonight. Tomorrow was the winter solstice, if they missed it the Olympian Council would be over and that was their due date.

They needed a car, they needed a plan, and they needed a way to send the Ophitaurus back to camp.  The beast clearly had the ability to appear in different bodies of water, which explained how he had gotten all the way to San Fransisco, but didn't know the way back to Long Island. Grover volunteered himself to separate with the group and lead the Ophitaurus to camp where Chiron can help get him to Olympus. 

To ensure safe passage, Perseus had to sacrifice the Nemean Lion coat he had taken as a spoil of battle to his father. It was a shame to get rid of the legendary fur coat and it was a great advantage to have over his opponents but this was not the time to be selfish about those sorts of things and they had to move quickly.

So, one problem down dozens more to go. 

Their transportation problem was solved by Thalia who came up with a solution Perseus did not expect. Annabeth's father, a professor Chase, was living in the city and would most likely let them use his car if he knew that his daughter's life was being threatened. When they actually visited the man, Riddle didn't know what to expect as he had heard many things from Annabeth about her home life. Also, he didn't know what to expect from a... normal muggle family. 

He let Thalia and Zoe take the reins this time, staying in the background with a charming smile and polite attitude. Muggles were not his forte after all. In fact, the house they arrived in was so... normal, so devoid of magic and mythical things he honestly was a little taken aback. Professor Chase himself seemed a nice enough man who was a scholar at heart which most likely explained how he had gotten the attention of a goddess. His wife and Annabeth's step mom also seemed okay? Perseus wonders why his friend was so against coming back to her family. 

But that wasn't important right now, what's important is saving the goddess of the wild and Annabeth before the sun sets, and they only had an hour before that happens. Easy.

Professor Chase immediately let them take his car when he hears their story and with a promise that Percy will reassure Annabeth that she still had a home with her family, the three of them finally went to the Dragon's lair. 

He won't bore you with the details, Ladon was the most terrifying dragon he has ever seen and no dragon, no beast from the wizarding world would ever compare. For one thing, this dragon was immortal and had a hundred heads. The smell of Ladon's breath was eye watering and was like the worst smelling potions multiplied by thousands. Somehow, they managed to avoid immediate death and made it to the mountain to began their way towards the summit where they will face more possible immediate death. 

Something that Zoe and Thalia quickly noticed was that the ruins that they now see at the top of the mountain were the ruins of Mount Othyrs. What he can remember from his studies was that Mount Othyrs was the fortress of the Titans during the first war. According to the huntress, it wasn't suppose to be in this mountain at all. Apparently, Othyrs moved the same way Olympus did, always existing at the edge of civilisation. It was worrying for them all that it appeared in this specific location where Atlas held the sky. 

Or once did anyway. 

Once they reached their destination, replacing the titan was Artemis in chains, her silver dress torn and her entire body straining against the literal weight of the world. Atlas, or the General as they now know, was there waiting to greet them with Luke by his side and the golden sarcophagus of Kronos flanked by dozens of dracanae. The son of the Dark Lord narrowed his eyes as he sees Annabeth cuffed and gagged, standing besides Luke with his blade on her throat. The daughter of Athena seemed largely unharmed besides the few scrapes and bruises and a single strand of gray hair.