4. THE IMPROMPTU PARTY

"Now this is a party!" exclaimed Arjun, eyeing the table covered with booze and chips. Meera's friends had really outdone themselves. Tanya's excitement was basically uncontainable. She had screamed 'HIIII' and hugged Arjun, as soon as she walked inside the house.

Though he seemed a little startled by the sudden affection, he had chuckled and hugged her back. She winked and mouthed 'Wow' to Meera, who was standing behind him, astonished. She proceeded to hug Meera too and whisper in her ear, "I want you to date this guy, babe!"

Meera had just given her 'Don't get ahead of yourself' look, wondering if Tanya had pre-drunk before coming to the party. She just giggled in return and put her arm around Adi's shoulder. Sid said a quick 'Hi' to Arjun and hugged Meera.

"I see you brought alcohol" said Meera looking at the bag in his hand.

"You wouldn't have taken me inside your home, if I hadn't" he replied, removing his shoes.

Her friends set the table with the new stuff they had brought, occasionally asking Arjun questions about his life in London. Adi and Tanya wanted to study architecture there.

While the three of them were caught up in conversation about London colleges, Sid sat next to Meera and offered her a beer.

"So this is the newest guy in Meera-verse, isn't it?" said Sid casually. Before Meera could answer it, he cut her off, "Don't even bother to deny it. I know you too well".

"Then probably you should start getting to know me again Sid, because I am not crushing on him right now" she replied, taking a huge gulp of her beer.

He gave her a condescending look in return. "You were doing so well trying to convince me! But you are still a rookie at lying, child. If only you would not have said 'right now', I would have tried to believe you" he said with a triumphant look on his face.

Meera glared at him and chugged her beer. Why is everyone already obsessing over us? I don't even know him for a day! Are the people in Meera-verse really so bored?, she thought.

"Woah woah! Slow down, Meera! You don't want to get drunk and go back on your word today itself!" he said, chuckling.

"I have better capacity than that, Siddy. You just wait and watch. I will not screw up the friendship that is currently building with Arjun!" she said handing the now empty pint of beer to Sid.

"Put it in the trash! You know where it is!" she said with pseudo-sweetness before walking away.

"Ahh there you are Meera! I love these two. I hope they come to London soon. They are great company!" said Arjun happily.

"Yeah. They are the best, really! I don't know how I would get by without them. They are basically relationship goals also" said Meera, looking at Tanya and Adi laughing together.

"They are cute, I agree. They remind me of my couple friends back in London. You'd really like them Meera" said Arjun, glancing sideways at her. She smiled back at him for a few quiet moments. Arjun has nice eyes, she thought momentarily.

"Ummn guys... You do know you have company right? I mean we could leave you two alone if that's what you want" said Sid, rudely interrupting their moment by snapping his fingers in front of Meera.

She quickly took her gaze away from Arjun and said, "Sid. You don't always need to be such an ass!" glaring at him, while Sid just chuckled in response.

He was Meera's closest guy friend; which meant he believed he had the license to never be nice to her in public. In private, they would have deep and meaningful conversations and he would be very vocal about his feelings. But with their other friends, he was always looking for chances to trump the last sarcastic thing he would say to her.