10. AIRPORT

"Every time, Meera. Why do you start packing so late?" Meera's Mom said, shaking her head. "Look at the mess you have made. You're old enough. You shouldn't be needing me to do this for you!!"

"Mom why do you always need to criticize me so much?? I was the first one to finish shopping today remember?" she shouted back.

"Yes. You did. But that did not make any difference because you started packing late! Now I have to move so many things around to make space for all your clothes!" her Mom said, shifting neatly folded clothes from one suitcase to the other.

"Just let me do it now Meera. Otherwise all this will never fit in our suitcases! Go have dinner!" she told Meera.

Meera just muttered 'fine' and left the room. I hate these battles with Mom for no reason. Just because what I did was wrong according to her sensibilities, she gets to criticize me! So not fair! But there is a silver lining, after all. I don't have to pack anymore. She smiled to herself while eating her dinner.

There was so much chaos in the house due to the travel arrangements. Her dad was busy booking the hotel in Delhi. It was tough to get a booking because they were booking so late. Arya had put on earphones and was packing like Monica Gellar. One of us has to be adopted. Because I can't have the same DNA as Arya for sure. It has to be me though. I saw Arya's birth.

Before eating dinner, Meera had even posted an Instagram story about her woes of packing. Arjun had replied saying 'Ditto'. They then had a conversation about how packing is much worse for girls, because there is so much more stuff that girls need on a daily basis. Surprisingly, he agreed with her on this fact.

They then spoke about what time their families were going to reach the airport. Meera, by then had reached her limit for the day. This day has been excessively long. I have to sleep now or I will definitely be crabby the whole day tomorrow. So she texted Arjun goodnight, changed into her pyjamas and went to bed.

*****************************************

Meera woke up to her blaring alarm at 8:30 am, only to snooze it and sleep till 9:15. She rubbed her eyes and checked her phone. After checking a few Insta stories and scrolling through random memes, she got out of bed.

Must take a bath today, she thought. She rushed into the shower and sang the latest Bollywood hit that was on her mind. After changing into a short kurta and tights, she put on her eye liner and lip balm. Yup. Now I can face the world.

After going through her packing one last time and watching some TV show with Arya, the family had lunch together.

"I have booked an Uber X at 1 o'clock. So our job is to get all the luggage in the hall first. Everyone pulls their own suitcase. Period" said Meera's Dad, firmly. He was very serious when it came to travelling.

He went on with his briefing and told them about which hotel he had booked. He had an itinerary prepared for what places they had to visit in Delhi in the one day that they had. Wow. I wonder how we will sightsee in Delhi with all that smog.

After her Dad was done, her mother had her own set of instructions to follow. Meera anxiously waited for it to become 1 o'clock, so she could escape this part.

Finally the Uber driver was 5 minutes away, so the family dragged their suitcases and shoulder bags to the lift. Thankfully, all of their luggage fit into the car. Meera texted Arjun, after they sat inside the car.

Meera: Hey DQ. We are on our way. Did you leave?

He was online so he replied instantly.

Arjun: Yes we might reach before you guys.