14. GLITZ

They entered the club with an EDM track blasting on the speakers. Ahh. Shape of you. Of course. It was super crowded. People were dancing with wild abandon. There were disco lights on the dance floor, which coordinated with the music beats.

"I like the vibe here!" Arjun had to almost scream in Meera's ear after she couldn't hear him the first three times.

She gestured to the bar and he nodded. They dodged various people and made it near the bar. Since it was crowded, there was only one bar stool available.

Arjun very graciously allowed Meera to sit on it. He pointed at her heels and mouthed 'no contest there'. Meera chuckled. She could hear Sid's warning voice in her head about not drinking too much.

Doesn't it happen that when you have known someone for a very long time, you tend to read their texts in their voice? That was happening to Meera with Sid.

Maybe I'll limit my drinks this time. I can go crazy at the wedding cocktail party anyway.

Meera still called for 2 vodka shots for each of them. The bartenders looked swamped but they were trying to attend to everyone as swiftly as they could.

Meanwhile, Meera was bobbing her head along to the music. Arjun seemed busy looking at the dancing public.

They had an unspoken agreement to talk only in gestures and facial expressions, because it was impossible to hear each other without shouting.

Why are clubs so loud? That explains why I don't like going to clubs often. I would much rather like to talk to him in some quiet place. He really seems to enjoy it here.

Arjun pointed to the dance floor and held Meera's hand to drag her there. She shook her head violently and pointed to the bar stool. She conveyed that they'd lose the seat if they went to dance immediately.

She imitated taking a shot and then pointed to the dance floor. Arjun raised his hands defeated and waited for the drinks to be served.

Thankfully the shots arrived and they each picked up one. They mouthed 'Cheers' and clinked their glasses together. Both the shots were gulped down quickly, leaving Meera with a very weird taste and a scrunched up face.

She felt a warm sensation spreading inside her. She looked at Arjun and exchanged a short laugh. He held up two fingers to the bartender and mouthed 'two more for each'. Meera was already feeling like she was losing her motor control. Two more shots would definitely get her drunk. Exactly what Sid did not want.

She tried to gesture 'NO' to Arjun, but he just made a puppy face and mouthed 'Please!!'

He came very close to her face, stopping her breath and then shouted in her ear "Come on Meera. Live it little".

He put his hand on her arm and mouthed 'come on now' as four more shots arrived, locking her in an intense gaze.

Meera gulped down two more shots and felt like she would not be able to walk now, let alone dance. Arjun on the other hand, did not seem to be as affected as her. He told her to calm down for 5 minutes and then they could dance.

Meera gave him a thumbs-up, even when she knew internally that dancing was going to be a disaster.

After some time, Arjun gave her his hand to climb down from the bar stool, which she appreciated.

She got down but felt her heels imbalance as she couldn't walk properly in them even when she was sober. Arjun held both her hands in his to ensure that she didn't fall. I'm sure he regrets giving me those two extra shots now.