xii | aidan

NO WONDER THEY WERE FREAKING OUT. If I knew that Lauren, her mom and Alyssa's dad were going to walk into the castle later this day, I'd lock myself out and not come out until they were gone.

I especially feel bad for Lauren's dad. He and Dr. Olsen just got divorced, and he has to be faced with her face once again, and with his daughter by her side.

The three adults were a mess since probably noon, and none of us knew why. I could still tell by the faces of those beside me that things weren't adding up in their minds. Spencer and Kassandra were the only ones that seemed to know what was going on. Of course they did - the King actually tells them things.

"Jake, I hope you understand why we're doing this." Dr. Olsen's voice was smooth and comforting. "And if it's about that other thing... things just weren't working between the two of us."

The man looked like he was on the brink of tears, but he kept it together.

"What are you doing here?" Dad asked the trio. "You said you were coming, you didn't give any details."

"Surely, after all the hints we've given, you have some idea on what we want," Mr. Miller said. What hints? I don't remember any hints? "Plus, you have your own associate at the Institute, why didn't you ask her?" He turned to Lauren's dad. "Jake, your ex-wife is here. Your daughter, too. Why don't you ask them? Or maybe even your son - I'm sure he has an idea on what's going on."

Heads turned to us - eyes specifically were focused on Spencer. He looked different, with a serious look on his face and his hand tucked into his pockets.

If Spencer knew something that the adults didn't, he'd tell them, right? He wouldn't keep it to himself...

"I don't know what you're talking about," He said, barely moving.

A lie. A common lie. But the group didn't think twice about his answer.

"This is a marriage contract, isn't it?" Tyson asked, speaking when there was a long silence in the room. "What else do you want besides power?"

"A lot, young prince. But you wouldn't understand," Mr. Miller said. "You are correct, though. A union of our two sides is exactly what I want, and what is probably going to stop they world from becoming totally destroyed."

What I want. I repeated the words in my head. "You want it, but what about Lauren?" I asked. "This is about her, and Tyson, isn't it?"

"Lauren?" Her mom spoke her name softly.

"I want it." The response came from her in an instant. "I want it, too."

None of us were expecting that response. Jessica's eyes widened. Tyson's jaw hung open. I was stunned, almost frozen in place.

Spencer, surprisingly, didn't change his expression. He simply just leaned against the pillar. I nudged him, trying to get a response from him.

"She's being forced to say it," He responded in a voice so low that only I could hear. "Look at her eyes."

They didn't seem different to me. They were the same shade of indigo as they always were.

"We have to talk this through," King Jacin said. He turned to us. "Jessica, Kassandra, can you show our guests to the dining room and keep them entertained before dinner?"

Jessica scowled, but a sharp shove from Kassandra made her agree. The two girl led them out of the foyer, leaving us behind.

"Can I leave? I'm just going to-" I started heading the same direction the girls went but Dad grabbed the back of my shirt, pulling me back. I really didn't want to be part of this conversation, and found it stupid I had to be here, since the issue didn't revolve around me. But I guess I'm stuck here.