xxxvi | change of plans

I'M STANDING IN FRONT OF MY CHILDHOOD HOME. There is a gun on the right side of my belt. Energy and power flows through my veins. We had to be close to the end. There is no excuse from us for this to continue.

This will be the end. It has to be.

I focus on the world on the other side of the force field. When I close my eyes, I'm back here for the first time that I could remember. Spencer was by my side as we walked through the streets heading back home for the first time in years. I didn't even know what home was at the time. I still don't think I quite know. He showed me my school, the park, my favourite restaurant, everything that was now nothing but bare land of piles of rubble. Every now and then, people pass by, scared and helpless. The same bracelet is latched onto all of them, signalling that they were property of the Institute. All looked at me with hopeless eyes.

I think I'm still the enemy in their eyes.

Spencer still stands beside me, Tyson to my other side. They watch as I focus to take down the barrier separating us from the outside world. I told Tyson not to hold it up anymore, so at this point it was all my doing. 

This was the only thing that was keeping me from the Institute. 

"Is everyone ready?" I said hoarsely, looking around. Dad, Clayton, Spencer, Kass, Tyson, Jessica, Taylor and the three younger ones. Taylor offered to watch over them, which was fine since she since really the type of person to be on the battle field. I've never seen Kass fight but I guess that didn't matter since she wasn't coming either.

Just before he left the house, Spencer and Kass had the biggest argument, but I had no idea what it was about. He didn't think keeping anyone in the house was safe, even if I said I'd put the barrier up before we leave completely. 

"I can't risk you losing it."

"I won't, I won't."

He planted a kiss on her lips. Sometimes I did forget that they were in a relationship. Through all this, they managed to stay together. The universe probably thinks that it's meant to be.

I wonder what "it" is.

The plan is to invade and overthrow the Institute. Knock out and leave as many Evolutians as we can unarmed, only killing then when absolutely necessary. Spencer and Jess are going to try and find the control rooms, disabling the mind control and the virus in the air. Dad and Clay are going to locate Mom and Mr. Miller. Tyson and I are going to find the Evolutians, and I, secretly, am going to find Kelly.

Plus, we had a whole army on the other side of the field. Aidan really did have a secure connection from all around the world. Everywhere, all around the world,  a similar thing is going to happen, once I give the signal.

"We're good, Lauren," Spencer stated. "Are you?"

I looked up at the moon, still up, bright, and shining. It was the only thing providing light. The barrier glitched, making the moon look glitched too. I gulped, nodding. It took a second for the barrier to come down. We rushed out before I put it back up, securing the others on the inside. If none of us made it, the future ruler was sitting in the basement.

Instantly, we split up. They say safety in numbers but being in a big group was the fastest way to get caught. Spencer and Jess run left, Dad and Clayton run right. I hold back, Tyson with me. He's telling me to start running, but I have to stop. 

All I hear is buzzing. My head it pounding.

"No... no, no, no this isn't happening right now," Tyson curses. "You can't break down on us right now, Lauren. You can't let this happen."