xvi | aidan

THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO ARE ACTUALLY SUPPORTING THE INSTITUTE, AND IT'S DIVIDING THE WORLD.

It started somewhere in Asia... no, Africa. People there actually wanted the Institute to take their children and "help them". It divided the continent, more people supporting the Institute, though the difference wasn't much. The war between everyone in each country is basically all that's on the news these days. Not only that, but it's starting others around the world.

I'm pretty sure this is the start of World War III. But not everyone fighting is part of the military, but citizens of each country.

Sure, the military is involved. Not fighting for their country but for their side. I couldn't really tell how many are on each side, but Tyson and I figured whatever side had the more advanced weapons had more trained fighters.

World leaders are taking cover, not sure what to do. They're entering safe houses, leaving their people in danger. In no time, the Institute will achieve what they want.

The thing is that I doubt anyone knows what the end result will be. All adults, despite which side they're on, are going to die. Everyone over the age of twenty-five. Somehow, all reported deaths don't include ones of anyone under that age. Was it luck, or did the Institute make sure they prevented it. Surely they didn't have all the children in captivity - there were young children crying in the room next to the one I was in.

I was able to set a permanent barrier around the palace, protecting everyone in it. I asked my mother for how they put up the barrier for the Institute. Being the lovely mother she was, she sent the code to me. With a few alterations, it was up. I was the only one that can let anyone in or out.

"What are you thinking about?"

I look back, Tyson coming my way. I was in the back courtyard, staring back at the river, and further than that, the forest. Tyson could just as well read minds - of faces, at least.

"It's nothing... just..."

"Let me guess," He said. "Lauren. When she's coming back, because surely she's coming back. Or at least will make me do some crazy things. You're thinking about the state of the world too, because who isn't and... your sister."

A small grin appears on face. See? Read minds. "Yes, yes, and yes. You're good at this. Are you sure you can't read minds?"

"Uh... you never actually asked if I can."

Whoops.

"I'm bored. Do you want to do something?" He asked, tucking his hands in his pockets. "Video games, basketball, saving the world?"

"You sound like your little brother, is something wrong with you?" I asked him, glaring at him. "Should you be the one person in the world that should actually take cover. You're basically the king of the world-"

"No, I'm not."

"Your dad is... he's..." I couldn't say it out loud. I couldn't bring it up yet, even if I sort of did. He's still fragile.

"I'm not a good leader. Don't try to deny it, Aidan." He bit his lip, looking disappointed. I really couldn't argue, if that's what he wanted me to, despite him not wanting me to... anyway, he's not a good leader, period.

My memories of him in elementary school always consisted of him being the quite kid in the back of the class, basically being the odd one out in our group of friends. He always hid away, barely speaking up. When he actual spoke, he had a way with words. Other than that, he wasn't much of the leadership kind. I couldn't blame him - Tyson was forced to shy away from everything, keeping his powers a secret. He was pushed away from the public when with his family, so natural he avoided anything that involved a lot of people.