xxxv | crumbling hopes

AT THE BEGINNING OF ALL THIS, THE WORLD CONSISTED OF APPROXIMATELY 7.7 BILLION PEOPLE IN THE WORLD. According to some scientists, we were already way past out limit in order to sustain the people with their basic needs, without destroying our planet. As of now, after all of the Institute's doings, about a quarter of that is gone, more dying as we speak.

The virus kills everyone over the age of twenty-five. Half the world's population is under the age of twenty-four. People of all ages are dying in battle, as war victims. Most teens are dying because they are sacrificing their lives for the greater good, but without them, and if the virus continues, there won't be anyone left for the future.

 We would be able to reach our end faster.

Dad and Clayton returned later that evening, some more food and new supplies with them. Taylor, Jessica, Tyson and I end up in charge of rationing what we would eat and what we could have for dinner tonight. Tyson and Taylor had some sort of magic within them, and were able to make a flavourful dinner with the limited supplies for tonight. Jess and I watched, though both our heads weren't into what they were doing.

My mind wandered back to when I was thirteen, when we were in the forest. No matter what I did to keep my mind off him, it always travels to memories of Aidan. I knew this was probably normal, but I wanted in to stop. I didn't need a constant reminder that he wasn't there anymore.

But damn, the boy really knew how to survive in the wilderness. I don't know if they actually taught that at the Institute before, because I never was a part of that. we probably would've gone hungry in a few short days if it wasn't for Aidan. I had a lot to owe him.

"Lauren."

I snapped back to reality at the sound of my name. Jessica flinched back a tiny bit, knowing that she had my attention. "Someone on your mind?"

I inhaled a sharp breath. "No, what about you?"

I was noticing the small details about her even if my mind wasn't paying attention on why she was like this. There was a look of distress on her face, with her constantly biting her lip. She played with her nails, her hair, and anything she could hold, really. She has to be thinking about someone in her life. Maybe something happened when she went back to Coldshore....

I really didn't know much about her past, when I think about it, and if I was being honest, I don't think she was very close to our family even before all of this. I know she's related because her father is Dad's brother. I know her family is dead and I know that she was part of a batch of Institute experiments that went half wrong. Her present is more of a mystery to me than her past. I didn't know if there was still someone in her life she'd risk everything for.

She pursed her lips. "I'd rather not talk about it, Lauren."

I nodded. "Understandable."

"Are you mad at me for suggesting that we have to kill your mother?" Jess asked, suddenly changing the topic to something I didn't want to talk about. When Spencer and I returned to my room, I knew that Jessica thought we were in disagreement. We weren't, not exactly. I told them that that portion of the plan will have to be decided on later, but we had to at least destroy all of the Institute's technology, bury the information and research or keep it where it wouldn't be found easily, but perhaps not destroyed. It was still important information. 

Spencer briefly mentioned the plan to Dad and Clayton after they returned. Dad definitely looked like he didn't want to go through with it, but all he said was we'd talk about it over dinner. It was hard making decisions with no food in our stomachs.

I shook my head. "Not mad... conflicted." Then, I add: "Spencer might be another story though."

It's when Taylor puts a steaming meal on our table that saves me from the awkward conversation. At least, I was sure it was going to head into the direction of an awkward conversation.