all we know of heaven

1

EARTH

jimin smiles as he watches the city dwellers below him. people watching has always been his favorite part about coming to earth; the joy on a human's face payment enough for his good deeds.
his bold hair rests in gentle curls on his head, the soft color complimenting the white of his robes and the feathers on his large wings. the sun rests high in the sky, large clouds scattered across the endless blue.

from his perch on a rooftop, jimin can freely see all of the people on the street below him. the red brick of the building is solid beneath his heels as he swings his legs in childish joy. the concrete of the skyscraper's ledge is rough against his hands, and he worries for a moment that it might damage his robes.
too often he is reprimanded for returning to heaven with his robes less than pristine. the higher ups shake their finger at him, and he pretends to only hang his head even though it destroys him.
he tries his best, does his job, makes people happy, but the scolding always comes.
although; even as the elders place their hands on their fair hips, his lord smiles at him from over their shoulders and gives him a wink.
jimin is always forced to suppress his smile to avoid being scolded further, but the twinkle in his eye as he looks back to his lord is evidence enough that he is no longer upset.
because of this friendship, he can endure.

jimin regains his focus and lightly scolds himself for becoming distracted with his thoughts when he should be working.
the people directly below him are laughing, and jimin fights not to join in, even though he knows no one would be able to hear him. though he is able to contain his laughter, he can't help the smile that forms across his face; his feet kicking a bit faster against the building and his heels bouncing a bit harder off the brick below him. jimin's hands grip a bit tighter at the concrete underneath his palms. this joy he feels is one he could never outgrow.

jimin's gaze shifts to a commotion on his right at the sound of angry words, and his smile falters a bit at the idea of a disagreement.
two humans are bickering outside of a clothing store; one man seems angry as he gestures wildly with his hands, and the other seems unbothered. they walk down the street amidst the crowd and jimin watches them intently, if it gets out of hand he'll have to step in to prevent anyone from getting hurt.
he follows silently, hovering with gentle movements of his wings, stretching his body as he flys in their direction. jimin draws closer as the seconds pass, unbothered because he knows no human can see him.
dark shadows drag behind the two men as they continue to walk through large crowds with ease, jimin looks to notice that he doesn't leave a shadow, though he wasn't expecting to. for a moment, jimin wonders what it would be like to be human again, but he quickly brushes the thought away to focus on the task at hand.
jimin flutters behind them gracefully. a sigh leaves his lips now that he can hear what the disagreement is about; the department store didn't have the size he needed. jimin resists the urge to roll his eyes and allows his feet to touch the ground, first his toes and then his heels.
with the solid feeling of concrete beneath his feet, jimin permits his wings to rest, the white feathers folding gracefully behind his shoulder blades and laying gently on his back.
almost as if they sense jimin's landing, the two men abruptly stop moving, their conversation coming to a sudden pause.
jimin raises an eyebrow and uses one dainty foot to take the smallest step backwards, his heart beginning to race without his permission.
jimin almost scolds himself for being weary that a couple of humans heard him, even though it would be impossible. only demons and angels can hear and see things outside of the human world, and jimin is the only angel assigned to this area today.
without warning the men turn to face him, their expressions of stone but somehow evil.
and suddenly jimin knows.