all we need of hell

3

HELL

yoongi groans as he wakes; stretching his wings and then his back. smacking his lips, his bare feet touch the hardwood floor below him. he pushes himself off the edge of his bed with a sigh and stumbles slightly to the bathroom.
the toothbrush has hardly entered his mouth when he hears a noise from the living room. he turns and peaks his head out of the bathroom door, only to be met with feet hanging off the edge of his couch. yoongi sighs and walks back to the sink to finish brushing his teeth.
those feet could only belong to one person anyway.

yoongi spits and rinses his mouth before walking to the couch. he crosses his arms at the man laying there.
"namjoon, what are you doing here?"
namjoon smiles at him and sits up a bit, resting on his elbows.
"is it a crime to visit you?"
yoongi scowls at the lack of formality, but decided to ignore it.
"yes."
namjoon's smile drops and he rolls his eyes.
"oh come on hyung, you enjoy my company,"
"if it helps you sleep at night."
yoongi walks away from the couch and drops his arms to his sides.
the tile floor in the kitchen is like ice on his bare feet, and he wiggles his toes at the cold while he opens the fridge.

"hyung, you have guard duty at the prison this week," namjoon calls from the couch.
yoongi throws his head back with a groan.
"why the fuck do we even guard that stupid prison? it's empty, there isn't even a law to break here."
namjoon shrugs and pushes himself off of the couch.
yoongi drops his head between his shoulders with a sigh and pulls the milk from the fridge. he pours cereal into a bowl and then the milk, grabbing a spoon from the drawer.
namjoon joins yoongi at the table as he begins his breakfast.
"anymore news?" yoongi asks around a mouthful of cereal.
namjoon rests his chin on his hand and ponders for a moment.
"hmm, jeongguk has a new love interest, his name is taehyung."
yoongi shrugs, "that kid has a new love interest every week."
"he insists this one is serious," namjoon chuckles.
yoongi snorts and stands from the table, placing his bowl in the sink to wash later.
"what's your bet?" yoongi asks.
"i give it two weeks."
yoongi nods, "i'll give him a week and a half."

.

once yoongi finally gets namjoon to leave his apartment with a push out the door and a 'go bother someone else,' he is able to get ready.
yoongi scoffs and rolls his eyes at the idea of guard duty. who guards an empty prison?

yoongi sighs as he leaves his apartment, nearly an hour early for his shift, locking the door behind him. he has nothing better to do, might as well sit and do nothing somewhere else.
the trek to the prison is long and annoying even when flying, but at least it's better than walking.
he takes off toward the edge of the city and then keeps going, watching the dark ground below him as he goes.
the prison is secluded from any other building, and it makes guarding it that much more boring, but at least he doesn't have to worry about anyone bothering him.

yoongi lands gently in front of the prison door and walks inside. he sits in the chair by the door and sighs, his head falling back to rest on the wall, his eyes shut.

only moments later, yoongi hears a noise from down the hall. yoongi's head lifts up, listening intently. when another thud resounds through the hall, yoongi stands. slowly, yoongi approaches the noise, doing his best to stay silent. at the end of a hallway, a door is cracked open and light spills from the room onto the hall floor.
yoongi steps closer and can hear the noises- now discovered to be voices- more clearly.
"a pretty angel for us to play with, don't you think?"
"yes sir"
there's a thud and some deep breaths before a light voice cries out.
"please, let me go."
tears are evident in the voice and yoongi wrinkles his brow in confusion. a real angel?
yoongi steps up to the door and peeks through the crack.
two men stand off to the side, and there in the middle, an angel is chained by his hands to the wall behind him.
yoongi's eyes widen and he has half the mind to keep his gasp from escaping.
the taller of the two men bends forward and grips the angel by his jaw, forcing his head up to look him in the face.
"keep your mouth shut!" he spits.
the angel's eyes squeeze shut and tears flow down his cheeks. yoongi's heart breaks at the bruises forming on the fair boy's skin.
he forces himself to look away as the man lands another blow to his face and the boy cries out.
yoongi knows he stands no chance against the two, he'll have to wait for them to leave.
yoongi stays by the door in an attempt to hear anything important, but the only sounds are the angels cries and the taller man's demeaning words.
for almost an hour the man torments the boy chained to the wall, and yoongi feels sick to his stomach when he doesn't show signs of stopping.
just as yoongi notices that the shorter man hasn't said anything at all, he speaks.
"sir, we should go, the guard will be here any minute," he states. yoongi's ears perk up and he takes a small step back from the door.
the taller man grumbles something before turning to the angel. "we'll be back, pretty," with a smirk they turn to leave and yoongi makes a silent dash under the desk at the end of the hall.
the two men exit the room and lock the door. they turn down the hall away from him, speaking quietly to each other, and yoongi lets out a small breath of relief.
once they are out of sight, yoongi waits for what feels like ten minutes, but couldn't really have been more than two, for the sound of the main door to close. even after the ground shakes with the door being shut, he doesn't move for another moment, in fear that they may return.

yoongi creeps from under the desk and over to the door. crying can be heard through the wood and yoongi hurries to pull the universal key given to the guards from his pocket.
the key turns solidly in the lock and yoongi can hear the cries become quiet for a moment. he pushes the door open enough to peek his head inside.

the angel scoots back to the wall, tears falling down his face, "please, no more, i-i-" jimin pants.
"hey it's okay, i'm not here to hurt you." yoongi slowly opens the door wide enough to step through, but he leaves the door open behind him.

"what's your name?" yoongi asks, sitting criss-cross in front of the angel.
jimin looks to him with caution before opening his mouth to speak, "how do i know i can trust you?"
yoongi blinks, unsure for a moment before answering, "what if i answer all the questions i ask you? then you know the same things about me that i know about you."
jimin hesitates, but nods, this is the only person to show him kindness since he had been taken after all.
"my name is jimin, who are you?"
"yoongi"
yoongi's gaze shifts to the room, looking around himself before turning back to jimin, "why are you here?"
jimin's eyes shift to his hands that are still chained to the wall behind him and then down to his lap, "those men kidnapped me from earth and locked me in here, i don't know what they want from me."
yoongi nods before answering the question himself, "i'm here as a guard, each person is assigned a week and then it rotates," yoongi says, unsure of what to ask next.
truthfully, yoongi wants to ask how he died, but he doesn't want to answer the question himself, so he keeps his mouth shut.

jimin looks up from his lap to gaze at yoongi's face. his dark hair and dark eyes contrasting strongly against his paler skin.
jimin knows he shouldn't, but he finds him attractive.
"can't you take off these chains?" jimin looks to yoongi, a pleading look in his eye.
yoongi pulls the key from his pocket and slides it into the lock on one of the metal cuffs, but it doesn't turn. yoongi frowns and tries again but it's useless.
"i'm sorry, my key doesn't work, but i can search for one later."
jimin nods and looks back to his lap.
yoongi is at a loss for words, up close jimin is even more heavenly, though yoongi's not quite sure what else he would have expected.
"what's it like?" yoongi asks, "in heaven i mean."
jimin looks up to him again and yoongi notices a light behind jimin's eyes that wasn't there before. "it's lovely," jimin sighs, "everything is light and there's so much freedom. i spend everyday making people happy and spending time with my friends, it's all i could have wished for." jimin's faint smile fades to a look of longing and sadness before he turns to look at the wall beside him.

"i-" yoongi starts, "i'm not sure why they took you, but i promise i'll help you," yoongi looks to his watch in surprise at the time and then back to jimin, he must have spent more time waiting than he thought.
"my shift is almost over for today but i'll be here all week, we can come up with a plan tomorrow and i'll see if i can find a key for your chains." yoongi turns to the door and pulls it open a bit before turning back to jimin. he hears the main door open and then close and he knows the next guard is here.
yoongi whispers hurriedly, "the next guard is here, i have to go, you have to be quiet or he'll know you're here, he won't be nice like i am if he finds you."
a faint 'hello?' sounds from the main entrance and yoongi knows he's out of time. just as he turns to leave jimin's voice stops him.
"yoongi?" jimin asks and yoongi turns to look at him, "thank you."
yoongi smiles before taking his leave and closing the door.