C H A P T E R 1 : Y O U

The stage is set and I took a deep breath.

The music was playing as I watched everyone around me give their all. I'm crazy even being here. I had to be up early in the morning for a potential new client for a meeting I have, but instead I let Michael talk me into a night club.

I wasn't dancing though, I'm drinking. And a lot. He came here to forget, to drink the pain away mostly. And I was here as support, also known as the wingman.

As I watched him carefully, My head started dancing to the music all by itself. I started tapping the table, before I glanced up for a second. She was staring, and hard. It wasn't at me though, it was at Michael. His night was about to go his way for once in the last two weeks. I watched as she walked off to him, dancing in circles. She had dark brown hair on the boarder between shoulder length, and her dress a dark blue with her back open.

Honestly I was tired, and just wanted to sleep, but still I was here swaying my head. Slowly, but surly Michael makes his way through the crowd stumbling to me. I watch as he gives me a short nod, and ask the bar tender for a another drink. I on the other hand, hadn't moved to face him.

As he waited, he told me his plan. “See the girl in blue?”

I nodded slowly.

“I'm taking her home, right Michael?” he asked.

Again I nodded, “Lucas.” I carefully pull out my keys and set it on the table in case it falls in between us and end up on the floor. He pulled out his keys and we exchange.

The girl isn't looking anyway.

He smiles at the bar tender, and grabs the 2 drinks and heads back to the girl. We had just switched names. When either one of us weren't sure about the person who we were with at the moment, we'll  switched, and I mean everything. We switch apartment for the night, so if she is crazy she’ll end up at the others persons place confused, surpised, or shocked.

When ever Michael's girls come over they see me standing in my apartment after a night with him, they peak their heads in, looking around for him. And when they don't see Michael, they rule they have the wrong apartment. Its worked every time.

I guess a lot of people would call that manipulative behaviour, but it's only our safety precaution. Well Michaels safety. He always attracts the craziest girls for some reason. He needs a radar or something.

Anyway, it hasn't backfired yet, so there was no harm for anyone yet.

I was about to leave when someone caught my eye. She's been sitting their for the past half an hour on her phone. At first I ignored it, but then it's sparked my attention. She hasn't looked up, maybe for a few moments to scan the area, and then right back to whatever she was doing.

Heading over, I had no idea what I was going to say or do. I wanted to be smooth and cool, but that's never been my field. People assume that by the way I walk, and talk I'm confident. I've been faking it for years, and people are actually believe that I'm  ‘confident’ that it makes me believe it sometimes. But that's the saying, faking it until you believe it.

So I started off with the basics. “Hey.”

She didn't hear me. I leaned in smiling at her, again saying hey. She looked up for a slight second, responding with a quick and dull hi my way.

“I've been watching you.” It didn't come out right. I sounded more like a creep yelling over the music. Her body scrunched up, slightly moving to her right while she looked away. “I didn't mean it like that.” I paused, scoffing. “I mean you haven't looked up from your phone all night.” I told her.