2. He's Gone

What's up guys?
I'm excited to let this chapter out because we finally get to meet some wolves!
Thanks for reading
——————————————-

The ground was soft as Sam sprinted across a border that hadn't been crossed by a LaPush protector in decades. His breath was almost jagged as he pushed himself to a tremendous speed. He could barely dodge the trees that met his path.

Everything was uneven, unfocused. The treaty had been broken, crushed into a billion pieces within a blink of an eye. Forks Police Chief Charlie Swan had contacted Billy in an unprecedented call for help in the search for his teenage daughter Bella. She had supposedly gone for a walk in the woods and never returned. This particular teenager had been warned by his chief of the dangers of running with leeches and was now fucking missing.

Sam saw red as he envisioned the likelihood of finding a scent without a body, surrounded by the sickly sweet smell that permeated the border that was just crossed by his paws.

Those monsters had ripped away any chance that Sam Uley possessed of having a normal life. Human life, Isabella Swan's included, was supposedly the reward for that.

They'd taken a human's life that was supposedly the tradeoff for his pain. The forsaken, glorified bloodsuckers were allowed to occupy Forks and fuck everything up for him, but only at the price of not taking a human life. It had all been for nothing. Leah's heart and Emily's face, the constant rage that stained every little corner of his life. It amounted to nothing.

Sam curved his body around the Swan's house with the hope to catch a scent. The house was surrounded with people, volunteers just like the werewolf himself. Lavender mixed with the sickly sweet stench pulled slightly at his senses. It was so faint. Sam growled and streaked forward in the jagged path that it led, leaving behind the grim scene. He lost it within ten mountainous leaps.

Sam slowed and tried frantically to find the priceless thread once again. A whimper, too odd to be an animal's, sounded off to his left. He sprinted there and was shocked by what he found.

He'd never seen Bella Swan before.

The alpha had only understood the minimal: that it was Charlie's girl that needed saved. The person that he saw created a relief which was an instant calm to his panicked mind. The full moon cast enough light for Sam to see that she was alive.

She was delicate, her bones present under cream skin with an unnatural blue and goosebumps to match. If it weren't for her rib cage rising up and down rapidly through her soaked shirt, Sam could've sworn she was catatonic.

Changing back quickly, the werewolf threw his shorts on and reached for Bella, collecting her in his arms. As if doused by water, the girl started shaking and chanting. And chanting was the only word that could describe it.

"He's gone, he's gone, he's gone..."

Sam carried her, walking slightly faster than what was human in order to get away from the terror and grief and self-hatred. It reminded him of himself when he held a broken Emily in his arms. The idea of that emotion being evoked by a leech was unbearable.

The memory of handing Bella to Charlie was vague, and Sam only thought back on it when he was halfway back to LaPush. As soon as her face, gaunt and terrified, came into focus, the wolf pushed his paws further into the earth, punishing it.

The memory eventually left and Sam carried on with the sentence that every Protector of LaPush had to bear.

Paul's POV

Ten months later...

A fist connected with my face, but my feet never moved a centimeter. My hand went up to rub the sting, and eventually I cranked open my eyes to see a shorter man, eyes masked with Oakley's, glaring up at my jaw.

"Whaddya do that for?" My packmates would be surprised at the lack of anger in my voice, but hey, it didn't hurt. I can be reasonable.

The fucker glared at me with an appropriate amount of shock and anger for that punch he landed on me. "Where the fuck is Lynn?"

I was confused. "Who's Lynn?"

"Paulie? You there?" A feminine voice sounded off from my house, and it dripped with implication.

I resisted the urge to not adjust myself in front of the guy. I didn't know who Paulie was either, for the record.

"You motherfucker!" The dude swung at me again, this time a class ring cutting through the air. What man wore jewelry?

My patience evaporated, and I caught his fist and squeezed it. There was a sick pop. The stranger let out a fierce yelp and struggled to get out of my grip.

"Look bud, I do not owe you or that girl anything. I don't know you, she's the one that does. So stop bitch slapping me and go away." I let him go and walked through my door.

"Paulie?" Her voice, sweet and still asking for it, now had the opposite effect.

I pushed past her and no backwards glance was given. "There's a visitor for you that needs to go inconvenience some poor doctor. Both of you need to get the hell off of my property."

It wasn't difficult to hear her scamper out and gasp when she saw who was waiting for her. My eyes rolled back to my skull. There was no possible way that her boyfriend could've found my place without her texting an address and trying to stir shit.

I slammed the door in a usual fit of temper. Typical. Blame the guy who didn't do anything except take what was offered. I had been bored and looking for the right kind of printer ink for the pack printer in Emily's house when Miss Thing had bent over with no underwear on right in front of me.

Shocked? I'm the pack IT guy, I know. The beat up printer only runs because of my tender care. Not that the fuckers did their homework enough to need the printer as much as me anyway. I had been thinking about ways to fix its tendency to jam every time it ran while I had fucked the brains out of what's-her-face. HP will be the real one to fuck ya if you're not preemptive and not fast enough on the draw.

I was just settling down into my beloved recliner after that whole fiasco in my yard when I heard a load, familiar roar of a motorcycle sailing down my dirt road. Along with that motorcycle was heavy, almost moany breathing and a fluttery heart.

That was new. Intrigue pulled me outside.

I plopped my heavy ass onto the lone rocking chair. My secret indulgence. Because hey! When you're a grumpy werewolf, you might as well pamper yourself like an old man that only gets laid once a year.

Based off of my ears, I had two minutes till the show started, so I really took a second getting my sitting angle optimal. Once adjusted, the sight that awaited me was surprising.

A familiar white girl was racing sleekly around the corner on a shitty bike I wouldn't touch with my left nut. Her long dark hair was a wavy sail that drew my eyes to it, and her tight slender curves second. She wore long sleeves in the middle of July, and it served as a motivator to look at pale legs that seamlessly hid slick muscle that could be seen nonetheless.

It reminded me of a bunny, all fluffy looking when bunched up and muscled when leaping. I felt a desire to test those legs around my waist sometime, but I quickly squashed it when I realized who it was.

Isabella Swan. My dick was just bipolar today.

—————————————-
I know, I know. A nerdy Paul is a little weird. So I wanted Paul to be more than just a sexy jerk, I wanted him to be a smart sexy jerk lol. Ambition is interesting, and I noticed that Bella never really had the chance to meet somebody who had more on the brain than her. People can be more multi-faceted than a stereotype. But I'm babbling.
Chapters will get longer after this, promise!
Vote, comment, feel free to say what you liked and didn't!
-rednight73