25. Sneak

Thanks for waiting for this update!
——————————————-

"I'll whistle for you." The fire crackled with the irritating words.

"No way." I barked out. It was an idiotic plan.

Black smoke billowed from the makeshift pyre that'd been made for the disposal of vampire parts. It, as always, smelled sickly sweet in an unnatural way that my pack-brothers and I had grown accustomed to.

Bella leaned against a tree, the garish fabric of the flannel we bought for her singed black from the soot. I'm up above her with a hand cocked on my hip, more than a little annoyed with our conversation.

"Ughhh. We are going to get ambushed again if we don't hurry! Stop man-spreading and let's kick some ass." Bella's voice is the shrillest I've ever heard it, but she had a point.

Only a small one, though.

"First off, downplaying my concern for man-spreading is beyond rude. Second off, man-spreading isn't a thing?" I asked. We are definitely getting off topic.

All went still when a sharp, load crack and a harsh scream reverberates around us. Bella's head shoots up and she vaults over my head in a fraction of a second.

"Drayer." Her barest whisper is all I need before I'm behind her with my clothes shredded. Bait. These bastards were baiting us without a shred of decency.

There wasn't any ransom note or grand scheme that led up to a hostage being tortured out in the open. The fuckers just did it and expected us to show up. And if we didn't show up? The bastard ghost had said it himself: Drayer was running out of time and only Bella and I would show up on time.

The trees blended into themselves as I pushed myself past Bells and towards the horrific cracks of sound. Her tiny hand attempted to grasp my fur in her fingers to stop me, but to no avail. I am just faster. She wanted to get captured and have me play safeguard in the shadows? It was a death wish and both her and I knew it.

"Paul, you idiot." She hissed behind me before I lost her far behind me.

If I survive this, she's going to kill me. The thought zipped through my mind before I bound into the clearing that smelled like blood and pain. The sight that met me made my stomach lurch.

The red-headed leech stood in the center of the field with a bloodied whip in her hand

The red-headed leech stood in the center of the field with a bloodied whip in her hand. Her bloodied boot pinned a man's muscular, lacerated back to the earth. He wasn't a big man, but the dark hair and translucent skin told me all I needed to know. The fact that a weak bitch like Victoria could hold Drayer down with a single boot let me know his condition.

A peal of laughter split the air as I leapt towards the whip-yielding leech. I was kicked in the face by something fast and as a result destroyed a tree from the impact.