27. Reunions

Evie's POV

Her head lolled back and her eyes almost shut before Aunt Renee hit a particularly nasty speed bump with Charlie's police cruiser. Evie let out a startled moan of sound as car sickness pervaded her already prominent migraine. Fuck soul magic. Sure, it gave them a head-start to Medora's den, but it literally rendered her next to useless as a result.

Renee was speaking at a rapid fire pace into a cell phone, gathering her forces for a surprise attack on Medora's headquarters.

Evie drew out a breath and accidentally slipped out of her body. Fuck!

She was now furry and fluffy and running. Her tongue was out of her mouth and flapping. She could catch glimpses of the police cruiser through multiple trees, where a curly blonde head could be seen pressed onto the back seat window. Evie realized that it was her own hair. A cacophony of voices, overwhelmingly male in nature, surrounded her. They all mostly reflected her sentiment of surprise.

Please don't tell me we have a new wolf now. Jared groaned. His words were echoey, like Evie were on the phone with him and the reception was fuzzy. Leah's lupine nature seemed to snarl at Evie's decisively female presence.

Evie? Seth's mental voice came much closer to her. Everything clicked together and she calmed and allowed the imprint to wash over her. Energy surged through her mind and the small cracks formed from the soul magic suddenly sealed together.

She had healed from magical exhaustion at an unnatural rate, and now she could see the instinctive magic that tethered the wolves and their imprints together. It was beautiful and in that instant Evie knew it was her job to protect those bonds from other castors' invasive eyes and magic.

No need for alarm, guys. Just visiting. She projected her thoughts loudly before discretely slipping out of Seth's body and back into her own. Drool was dripping off of her chin and she wiped it absentmindedly with the back of her hand.

Nate was grinning in amusement at her. "Enjoy your trip?"

"Yeah, sure. It felt more like an acid trip than anything."

Aunt Renee shushed them before delving into strategy talks with her second in command Darryl. A gutsy choice had been made in that Darryl would stay with half of the Allied Fae forces at the compound. If Renee were to fall, the others would be given a chance to salvage the fae back into order. It was an unfortunate disadvantage, but one that neither Renee or Nate could dispute against. Two lives, even lives with the political significance of Bella and Drayers', could not justify the dismantlement of the entire continent. A power vacuum was a serious risk.

"Have you been practicing shielding?" The General asked the one mage in the car.

She nodded while her fingers sparked in anticipation. Ever since the horrific attack that had taken her brother Jack's life, she had been practicing as much as Jennifer, her instructor, had allowed. It was the one reason Renee had allowed Evie on the rescue mission.

A good battle mage had impenetrable shields around herself first and foremost while she lends support to troops. Evie, even at sixteen years old, was more than adept at it. Prodigal even. But they were against Medora, and fear tingled down her spine at the thought of being around such power.

Evie would be the lead mage in making sure that this attack kept its element of surprise.

They were thirty miles away when she began chanting incantations.