8. Brand New

Hey guys! Thanks for reading up to this point!
-rednight73
——————

Bella had phoned Billy to tell him that she was finally over the physical side effects of the bite about four days after the fact. To say that the pack would be excited was an understatement. Sam was a little excited himself. Nothing much other than thankless patrols and classes at school for the most of them, Spirits knew Sam's pack brothers were always looking for a little excitement.

"When will she be over for her community service?" Sam asked curiously over the receiver. He tried not to give a purr when he felt Emily hug him from behind. His mate was always so loving.

Sam had offered the whole community service alibi for Bella for two official reasons: she was kinda imprinted to Paul (that shit needed figured out) and she had valuable experience fighting vampires. Additionally, the alpha believed everyone deserved a family, people to confide in. Bella, for all appearances and purposes, was alone at Forks. Sam had been all alone once and that period had been the most depressing months of his life. He wouldn't wish it on anyone.

"She said she would be by after school today." Billy's smile was impossible not to hear. Sam, Harry Clearwater, and the chief had all fought gallantly to make this happen.

That council meeting had been particularly irritating to attend, with Old Quil's fear of a possible threat like Bella. Which was dumb, considering Bella and Paul had imprinted with all of the Protectors as witness. Isabella Swan was officially now Quileute. After a long and fiery debate, Old Quil had eventually conceded to the outsider as long as he was allowed periodic "check-ups" on Bella. How utterly redundant.

"Good, I'll let the others know." Sam almost bounced up and down on the balls of his feet. Emily giggled.

Sam kissed Emily's hands, her scar, and then her mouth before he bounded out of the door. He tore into the woods, shifted, and let out a long howl.

Geez, what's got your panties up in a twist. Paul's thoughts came sharp and aggressive as usual, and Sam was always surprised at the sheer nimbleness of them. Although he was sarcastic and a total hothead, the boy was not dumb in the slightest. Not seeing Bella for a few days had created a new level of truculence that Sam would've been able to forgive in anybody else for the circumstances. Not Paul Lahote.

Oh fuck. Paul's thoughts had frozen in equal parts of fear and anticipation as he had put the pieces together. Thoughts of submitting an incomplete assignment drifted through, with an automatic dismissal of the idea. He'd do it later.

Sam let out a wolfish snort and was glad when the others became present after Changing.

What, Sam? It's the middle of a school day! Jared grounded out, an unusual complaint. He saw Bella's call. Oh wait, never mind that's awesome! He faded back out, heading back to classes.

Jacob let go of an impressive amount of worried glee before disappearing too while Embry emitted slight concern for his friend's heart. The stray sentiment worsened Paul's dread, and Sam could almost swear the depth of emotion wasn't something he'd been witness to before from the grey wolf. In fact, his emotions always felt muted, stunted by the violent past that stained every corner of his conscience. Him seeing Bella's eyes was the only time that the gates had been lifted, and it had been intense.

Yeah, yeah. Fuck off. Sam rolled his eyes at Paul's reprimand. His aggressive thoughts had always been wide open, on the other hand.

Only once Sam was back in human form, helping Emily garden, did he dare remember Bella's scars. He so did not want to be around when Paul discovered those.