10. Why the Cullens

What's up, guys?
The support so far for this story has been so inspiring to me!
——————————————-

Paul's POV

Never before had I hated homework this much. I was stuck on the last problem on my Calc 3 assignment and it pissed me endlessly off. Why would that make me angry? Well, unfortunately I couldn't call Bella Swan until I had all of my homework done for the week. A man has to set a schedule and be rigorous, damn it, and I just will not budge on this. I personally blamed the curvy-ass number 5 on that problem. It brought to mind a curvy, wet body I had spotted a couple days ago. Her hair sleeked down her pale shoulders and over the red tank top that brought out the color of those plump lips, her gorgeous tattoos trailing down her arms and highlighting the gorgeous skin where her tank top had crept up like a brave scout. I salute you.

Distracted didn't even begin to describe me as Sam let me return to school as we were for sure down one leech. I couldn't listen in class without tapping my foot spastically and almost making an audible sound to the weak human ear. That didn't sound like much, but it meant I was really out of sorts. My favorite classmate, Cameron, shot me a weird look so it definitely wasn't just my imagination. The only good thing to come out of the last few days is that I caught up quickly and my grades didn't seem in jeopardy.

The pack mind was a war-zone right now, or I should say Black was infuriated at me and her. I hadn't leaked our conversation at First Beach or my plan to call her, but the rightful alpha seemed to almost sense it. He was mad at Bella for not admitting that she was hurting for the marks on her arms and that she needed him. Which indefinitely pissed me off because it was obvious Bella wanted to be strong and was taking steps to be more independent. Any sympathy I had previously possessed for Jake was now eradicated. He was, incredibly enough, angry at me for not being more worried for the rabbit.

I had made my mind up. I liked her and I was going to keep her. If she'd have me.

The last problem solved of the homework - I always make sure to finish before going back to the noisy pack - I stood up in the library and stretched. Due to my vow of not seeing Bella until school was sorted out, I was speeding deliberately through each assignment and hoping nobody noticed the dust in my tracks. The drive back to LaPush with the satisfyingly light homework load in my backpack soothed my frayed nerves, and Bella would probably be over at Emily's, playing with the pack. She'd announced that her strength was probably back up enough to show us all the tricks she knew about vamps soon.

The fighter in me was eager to learn.

I walked into Emily's house, backpack thrown over my shoulder, and immediately noticed the flowing laughter coming from the kitchen. Laughter I recognized from Emily, Jared, and Bella which created a relief in my bones that I always experience after leaving LaPush for any amount of time. My family was safe.

Baby, run! A million nightmares danced in my head and sweltered out into the open, but the others didn't notice. They never did.

Shaking off the shadow of a memory, it took considerable effort to plaster a cocky grin on my lips. "What's up, nerds?" I rhetorically asked as I plopped my bag down onto the counter and automatically began pulling textbooks out.

"You seem to be the nerdiest of nerds, Paul." Bella laughed, "I don't think I've seen books that big before."

I cocked an eyebrow at her and grinned, "Sorry sweetie, I promise to be gentle."

Bella rolled her eyes and seemed immune to the innuendos at this point. Emily and Jared groaned synchronously. "Spirits, Paul, you'll never get her at this point." Jared grounded out lightheartedly. I shot a warning glare at him.