TWO

❨𝒕𝒘𝒐❩The B

❨𝒕𝒘𝒐❩
The B

School, school was the only place I could escape. Escape from my parents, escape from everything wrong in my life. I twirled a piece of my strawberry blonde hair and looked at the clock. Two twenty-two, only three more minutes til summer. I hated summer it was the worst. I hated the feeling of dread I got before going home on the last day of school, knowing I would be locked in my room all day.

My teacher was calling people up to get their final report cards. "Lewis, Rose." My best friend stood up and took the vanilla envelope from Mrs. Douglas. I smiled at her. She smiled back her brown curls bouncing as she took her seat. Before I knew it my name was called. I stood up adjusting my shirt. I walked to the front of the class my palms sweating as I took the envelope. I had to get all A's or I would be in trouble.

Once the bell rang I stood by the door waiting for the best person in the world.
"So Val what'd you get?" Rose questioned as we walked down the hallway of Derry Middle School. It was our last day there ever, moving to the high school in the fall.

"I don't know I didn't look yet." I shrugged looking at the unopened letter before me. In truth I didn't want to open it, because then the unknown would be known, and I would prefer if the unknown stayed that way.

"Okay we'll open it later," she told me  linking her arm with mine. Rose learned not to pry when I was anxious. That was one of the best things about her, she knew when enough was enough.

"Yeah and the Rabbi's going to pull down your pants and say wheres the beef!" Richie loudmouth Tozier exclaimed. I rolled my eyes he was so annoying. Most people in the school called in trashmouth and for good reason. Was it rude, yeah, but did I care? No, he genuinely deserved the name.

"Why is he annoying." I complained, glancing back at him. Rose chuckled remembering our conversation earlier today.

"Oh come on Val the losers aren't that bad." Rose shrugged trying to argue her point. Rose unlike me was friends with them. She had been neighbors with Eddie Kaspbrak since I had met her, and probably since before that. So she has grown up with them. I grew up alone.

"Well you're actually friends with them, im not. And I only said Richie not the rest. How many times do you need me to tell you that?" I retorted, annoyance hinting in my tone. We pushed open the doors. A burst of warm air hit my face. I loved the heat. I hardly ever got to go outside unless I was sleeping over at Roses. So I soaked up any sun I could get. The girl unlinked our arms and headed to get her bike, "Hold up let me open my report card." I hollered as Rose made her way closer to the bike rack. I ran to catch up with her. Once I did we sat on a nearby bench.

"Go on open it!" Rose said impatiently. I tore the paper open. Inside was the slip of cardstock with life or death on it. All A's and one B in math. I hated math I was horrible at it no matter how much I studied.