THIRTEEN

▶️ Rescue mission

▶️ Rescue mission

I was shaking uncontrollably in the Uris' living room. A blanket was wrapped around my shoulders as Richie rubbed my back soothingly. A cup of tea was in my hands, the warmth radiating off the mug.

"Why." I croaked. My brother was dead, dead.

"Val your gonna be okay, weren't not going to let anything happen to you" Richie told me. The phone rang from the kitchen. We all jumped from the sudden noise.

"I got it." Stan whispered leaving the room. I let out a shaky breath as I leaned my head on Richie shoulder. I felt oddly comfortable with him. It wasn't like It used too. I didn't hate him anymore. Of course I found him annoying but it was Richie, it was inevitable. I felt Stan walk back into the room.

"Who was it?" I asked.

"Rose, she's back." A grin found its way to my face. I missed her.

"What'd she say?"

"She said she heard what happened and came back immediately. Also she said meet her at the arcade." Stan smiled at bit.

"Alright well lets go." Richie said grabbing my hand and pulling me up. We all smiled despite our situation. I set the blanket on the couch and headed outside, the boys following behind me.

The heat hit me sharply causing me to cough. The sun shone down on the small town of Derry as we headed to the arcade. A slight breeze was in the air, gently blowing my ponytail into my face. One of my hands gripped Richies while my other tightly gripped Stans. I was scared to let go of either of them. For if I let go I might lose them as well and that was something I couldn't bear.

The arcade in Derry was small but packed. All the kids trying to avoid their parents wrath of 'you should be outside'.

"Rose!" I shouted spotting the familiar mop of brown curls.

"Val!" She cries launching herself in my arms. I let go of the boys hands to hug her back. "I've missed you so much." She muttered in my ear. I smiled into her hair. "I'm also really sorry about James. I know you didn't get to see him much this summer." Sadness laces her voice. James was like a younger brother to her. When we were younger the two were together almost as much as we were. I had met Rose in first grade and she changed both mine and James lives. For that I was thankful.

"No way check this out!" I heard Richie exclaim. I looked over to see the boys playing some video game. A laugh bubbled up in chest as I watched child like amazement spread across his face. Rose and I looked at each other before we bursted our laughing. We both then walked over to the boys.

"Can I try?" I asked. Richie scoffed.

"Good luck beating the record I just set." I smiled at him before rolling my eyes. I placed a quarter in the machine and began hitting the character.

"What how!" Richie exclaimed 20 minutes later. I smirked as the words 'New High Score' Flashed on the screen. "Gimme that!" Richie grumbled pushing me out of the way. Stan chuckled.

"How'd ya do that?" He asked me.

"I pretended it was my parents." I shrugged.

"Well I'm gonna pretend this guy is Bill then!" Richie proclaimed. Rose rolled her eyes before going to play space invaders with Stan. I stood by Richie as he struggled to beat my high score.

"Richie." The familiar voice of Bill Denbrough filled my ears. I smiled waving to him. Richie rolled his eyes and gave me a look that said 'avoid all contact with the enemy'.

"Hi Bill." I smiled brightly. Richie shook his head.

"What do you want?" Richie asked ice in his tone. Bill went to open his mouth when Richie cut him off. "You see that guy I'm hitting,I'm pretending it's you." I rolled my eyes at his childish antics.
"It got Beverly." Bill said his face pale, not stutter to be seen.

"What are you talking about?" Richie asked studying Bills face.

"I think he's serious Rich." I whispered in his ear. He nodded gulping.

" It,Richie. It got Beverly." Richies mouth was open partly.

"What's going on?" Rose asked as her and Stan coming up behind us.

"Rose! Stan! It took Beverly." Roses face parted in shock.

"Well what are you doing standing here let's go!" She grabbed Bill and Stans hands and dragged them outside. I grabbed Richie and forced him out of the arcade, him muttering profanities under his breath.

"Did you get everyone else?" Stan asked once we were outside.

"Not I got Richie first knowing how he always has to be the first informed. Richie smirked at his reputation. I smacked him lightly giving him a glare. That wiped the smirk of his face I thought smiling slightly.

"Alright well what are we waiting for?" Rose asked.

"No clue let's get our bikes." Stan said hopping on the back of Roses, who besides Bill was the only one who brought her bike.

"Yeah I need to get mine." Richie said.

" I'll just ride with Richie cause well uh ya know my parents." I looked at the ground a small tear falling down my cheek. The all smiled sadly.

"You okay?" Bill asked.

"I've been better." I told him offering a small smile.

"O-Okay." And with that we all rode/ran to our homes to prepare for the fight.