Ch 57

She stepped back from him and left. Shlok watched her go, his own heart beating fast. he wanted to go and stop her but it was not the time. He decided to take a cold shower, but as he was moving out, a marker came under his shoes,he bent to pick it up and saw the newspaper,he opened it and saw the red circles.

He frowned, none of the staff would do this, did astha tried to hide the newspaper but why? If she wanted to do the job, then she could have told him. May be after what happened at office she is hesitant? he thought with guilt. He read the vacancies she had marked and put the newspaper and marker back under the bed. He went to take shower but he kept thinking about the way she hid her diaries away too. It was a bit strange to realize that astha would hide anything from him. Before they got married, she used to tell him each and every detail of her day, from what dress she liked to what she ate to whom her friend was currently in relationship.

But things had changed after marriage, he had tried to distance themselves so when he divorced her there won't be many issues but he end up sleeping with her and that too in drugged state and things just went hazy for a long time. He wanted revenge, he wanted to see her crying and he was ruthless in his games, but then he started expanding his business and he got so involved that he had no time for himself let alone her.

But he missed the closeness they used to share. yet he just couldn't hope for things to turn normal so soon. may be the two of them needed to go on a vacation, they never had their honeymoon. After ayi-baba got settled here, he will take a break and go somewhere with her, somewhere they could spend a lot of time together,so he could get her to open up to him again.

...

Astha was sitting with ayi, everything was ready, baba's study was set up, the formal room,which she had never used before as shlok hadn't ever thrown any formal party,was clean and up to the mark, in case baba had any guests,cook was preparing his favourite dishes. She wanted baba to not feel any discomfort.

Ayi had smiled watching her concentrate on minor to minor detail, but she had let her do what she wanted.Shlok had left to go and pick up baba from the airport.

Now astha sat down on sofa on which ayi was sitting and watching some current affair program. She was discussing the political issue with ayi,when living room phone rang, ayi picked it up and listened ,then replied ok. She put the phone back.

Anjali,''It was shlok, the professors, some social activists and few politician all have gathered together to welcome NA at airport, they are there now along with media and shlok says that NA will have to invite them home as to say thank you.

Astha tried not to panic, how many people? I have ordered cook to prepare for just four people.

Anjali,''Shlok told me that he already has ordered for the food and he has talked with the head servant and cook too. they will know what to do, he just wanted to let us know that we will have company.''

Astha let out a relieve breath, sometime it was good to have a control freak as a husband,''we should change.''

Anjali nodded,''try to dress up bit conservatively as you know how some of the press members can be.''

Astha,''ok ayi. I have some sarees, I will wear on of them.''

Anjali smiled happily,'' that will be perfect, I will go and change too.''

...

Astha looked at her sarees and finally decide to mix them up because most of them had a provocative look when worn and ayi did say to look a bit conservative. She picked a red saree with golden and black metal embroidery on its borders and picked a golden blouse from another saree. The material was same,so it won't look bad, she dressed up quickly and then went to dresser, opened the locked bottom drawer and took out her jewellery box. She put on make up, she blushed slightly as she picked up her lipstick but she wore it the same way shlok liked it, she put light kohl on her eyes and a small bindi.She opened her jewellery box.

There was some jewellery in the closet too but that for parties and daily wear but jewellery in this box was heavy. she took out multi layered pearl necklace with ruby and topaz strewn in flower shape and put it on, she put on the matching earrings. Then, she stared at her gold bangles and traditional kara set she only wore once on her wedding day.

On a whim she took them out and wore six gold bangles on one arm, they were thin and lightweight and one kara on other hand as it was heavy. she wore only one ring and then wore toe rings one on each feet and then put on anklets. The anklets were from her wedding day too, and quite heavy but she wanted to wear them today.

She got up and looked in mirror and then took out a nose pin and wore it,it wasn't marathi in style but was simple day to day wear normal one. Finally she took sindoor and put it on too. her hairs were already open and cut into layers. she simply brushed them and left them open.

Then she went to help ayi get ready but ayi was ready and sitting in the living room. Anjali got up when she saw astha,''You are looking so pretty.''Astha winked,''just like my ayi.''

Anjali laughed and hugged her, keep smiling like this, and dress up more often like today, the look suits you.'' Astha hugged her back.

...

There was lot of excitements among professors as their cars followed Narajan agnihotri's into the the driveway of his home and finally stopped near the porch. They were happy that NA was shifting to Delhi,he was a celebrity in educational world for his endless work in his whole life to raise the english standards.Prof Romila was among those few who believed him to be her ideal,'' educational reforms, welfare programs for women and children,schools for special children, facilitating job employment for needy students, you name it and he has done it. We need these sort of people in our government, I imagine the changes he can being if he was provided a proper platform to achieve new goals.''

Her colleague, prof Ramday nodded,'' I also am of the same opinion. Its time parties start selecting people based on their merits, not those who will just sit in chair all day and do nothing. The new educational minister...''

He launched into another rant against the ministers while Prof Romila listened attentively with others.

The car stopped and she exited along with her other colleagues. There was a person standing near the main door,directing them toward the right path. They entered the formal room,Romila admired the look,it was done in shades of forest green and golden looking absolutely breath taking,yet the wealth was understated, it gave a feeling of class not sheer opulence intending to shove it down the throat of another person that how rich these people were, she had seen many people decorate their house to impress but sometime it looked like they wanted to prove some point in their psyche, the difference between new money and old one.

Anjali agnihotri was standing with NA agnihotri greeting everyone dressed in a green and blue coloured saree,she was the picture of race,poise and beauty, some people just had it all. She went and greeted anali, touched when anjali remembered her name,although they have met only two times before and went and sat in one of the sofas.

...