Ch 58

Astha was coming out of kitchen after talking to cook, who was sending servants with trays of tea and other refreshments. The food for dinner was already here and ready to be served along with additional staff to help out the serving.

She saw shlok walking toward her, he was talking to someone on mobile, he was wearing a black high neck shirt paired with black jeans and a leather shoes from paul smith. He looked casual yet he stood out from all those around him. Calm, poised, in charge of the situation.

Then, his eyes flickered on her and he missed a step, astha just politely nodded and passed him but a huge grin was spreading on her lips.

Astha greeted guests on by one with anjali on her side, asking if they need anything. She could see shlok doing the same with baba on his side. Their eyes met and she looked away hurriedly before she blushed and grinned.

Anjali,''Astha meet Prof Romila Sen, Romila my daughter in law astha agnihotri.''

Astha's attention snapped back to person standing in front of her. It was prof Romila and there were many other faculty members from her department.

She somehow managed to nod and smile at Prof. Romila who unfortunately failed to reply, astha quickly stepped forward to meet the next person while anjali introduced her but astha knew ayi must have noticed Prof Romila's reaction, so as soon as introductions were done she told anjali,'' prof. romila along with few other teachers present here used to teach me but none of them knew who I was, so I guess they were surprised, anjali smiled at a guest politely and whispered back,''I guess but Romila is staring at you from across the room even now, its bit unnerving.''

Astha didn't say anything but what could she do? may be i should go and talk with her,she thought to herself but there were so many guests present what if someone heard them?

...

Shlok saw prof. Romila standing alone in a corner deep in thought and went to her, he had studied from hers during his school days and till date she remained one of best teachers who had taught him,'' Good evening Professor.''

Romila started and looked up,'' ah good evening. Shlok right?'''

Shlok nodded,'' yes, how are you? we are after a long time.''

Romila nodded absently,''Yes, its been ten years or more. Shlok where is younger brother?''

Shlok frowned,''my younger brother?''

Romila,''yes, I heard your parents adopted another child, I have never met him as I shifted to Delhi.''

Shlok smiled,'' oh, no it was not a boy, a girl actually, she is here somewhere, I will introduce her to you.''

His eyes scanned the crowd and saw anjali and astha standing to the other corner of room talking with a guest,''there she is.''

Romila looked to where he was looking and said,'' but that's astha. Your sister in law.''

Shlok was quiet for a moment, here we go again, he thought to himself, this was the reason, he didn't told anyone about astha and his background, it was so difficult to explain with the judgemental look some people pasted on their faces. Although, Romila only seemed puzzled. better get over it already, he thought to himself and excused himself for a moment, he strode to astha and asked her to come with him.

Astha followed him. she stopped few feet away from Prof. Romila hesitating, he put his arm around her waist and presented her to Prof. Romila,''Astha my school teacher Prof. Romila, Prof, astha my wife .''

He smiled as he saw the shock on prof. romila's face,and waited for her to get over it and congratulate them.

Prof. romila,''excuse me,I will be...urgh I just need to freshen myself.'' she moved away towards the washroom.

Shlok stared after her now really confused,''Is she alright?'' he said.

Astha,'' she was my prof too at the college.''

Shlok looked down at her,'' moppet, did you play some prank on her? she seemed to not get over the shock that we are related? or may be its the fact we are married and related?'' he thought out aloud.

astha didn't say anything, she seemed to have tensed further.

Shlok,''Don't worry,its not like we are really related. She will get over it and it doesn't matter what she thinks.''

...

Romila stood outside in corridor for several moments. To say she was shocked was an understatement. It was hard to relate the weeping girl in her car to the girl she had met today but both were same.

May be she had lied that day? but she doubted it, her distress had been genuine but she was married to shlok. Could shlok be so heartless, he had been such a brilliant and nice student. But he was so much older than astha, and astha was adopted but that meant she grew up in front of him, which made all this so disgusting.

But astha had told her that her husband married her because of his parents,so did NA and anjali forced him to marry her and he resented it? He was right to be angry but to treat her like that it was wrong.

She needed to talk with NA and anjali, if astha was lying,they needed to know it and if she wasn't then it was even more important. Astha was young,she had her whole life in front of her,she couldn't continue to be in a relation like this.

If nothing else, shlok would know that astha was not alone and he couldn't get away with anything. Her decision made, she went back inside.

...