Ch 59

After dinner was served, everyone broke into less formal groups and mingled with each other as they ate food. NA was talking with Mr. lokhandwala, a politican who wanted him to join the same party he was in but NA was not interested in politics. He did social work because god had gifted him with the means to do it and being a human, he felt that it was his responsibility.

Mr. Lokhandwala was clearly disappointed but still he told NA to call him if there was anything he could do to help, NA smiled and thanked him for his generous offer and then went to see him off. He was returning inside when he met Prof. Romila who wanted to talk to him about something important.

NA,'' You can tell me now.''

Romila,''Its actually rather personal and its related to your family. if you don't mind,can I talk to you and your family after everyone is gone?''

NA frowned at this request,'' my family?''

Romila thought and then replied,''Please I can not explain it right now,someone from media might hear us.''

NA nodded and after giving her a polite smile, he went inside.

...

After all the guests were gone, NA asked Romila,''Please,have a seat,he pointed towards one of the sofa and sat on one opposite to hers.'' Anjali looked at NA in question and sat down beside him.

Astha looked worriedly at Prof and sat on sofa next to NA, she should have talked with Prof romila but she was never alone and she was afraid what if someone heard them accidently but it turned out that Romila had seeked NA out and fixed a meeting with him.

Shlok came inside after seeing off the last guest and was surprised to find prof. Romila still here.

NA,'' Romila you wanted to say something?'' he prompted.

Romila looked at nervous astha who staring at the carpet and said,''Yes. I want to talk about Astha.''

Shlok walked in and sat on sofa beside astha his complete focus on Professor.

Romila shifted slightly in seat,'' Its actually about both Astha and shlok. I taught astha in her final semester at college,she is a good student.'' she paused,'' but she was nearly rusticated during her last paper few months back.''

Shlok looked at astha, and thought, did she cheat during the paper?

Romila,'' I let her go because her reason was sound but then, I did not know she was your daughter in law and had no need to question her. So, astha did you lied that day? if yes, then you should confess right now because I am going to share everything with your family either way.''

NA and anjali shared confused looks.

Astha clenched her hands into fists but did not say anything. She just sat there quiet and scared,should she speak or remain quiet? what to do?

Romila took a deep breath and said,''Very well, I..''

Shlok interrupted,''she gets nervous but she has never before cheated in exams and I assure..''

Romila cut him off,'' She did not cheat in exams,however,she did came late in her examination and she gave her exam while continuously crying and her attire..well, she was reported to me by one of the teachers and I came to see her but exam was finished by that time. Still luckily, I found her in corridor and took her to my office. After she corrected her attire, she explained to me that she was not with her boy friend but her husband and became late for her exam. Yet,he had to catch a flight,so he left her home instead of taking her for exam and she did not wanted to miss the paper. So, in her hurry to catch the local transport to the college,she failed to notice that she was not dressed properly or her hairs were in such disarray.''

There was a pin drop silence, anjlai was staring at astha, while NA looked at shlok and said,''Is it true?'' his eyes were calm but shlok felt panicked for a moment,'' I ...baba I asked the driver to take her to the college, I had a meeting in US and the next one was in Dubai, then I had to go to Malaysia, If I had missed one flight, the whole schedule would have been disturbed.''

NA looked at astha,'' Astha, Is he telling the truth.''

Astha felt angry at shlok for lying, couldn't he simply have admitted his mistake? did he thought she will lie for him to baba? No,she could not lie to baba, what would Prof. romila think about her and everyone will want to know why she went out dressed like that.

NA,''Astha I am asking you something?''

Astha,''Prof. Romil is telling the truth.''

Shlok felt his temper rise,'' I told the watchman to call the car for you. Baba you can ask him, i am not lying!.''

NA was quiet.

Anjali picked up the intercom and dialled the watchman number,'' Come inside the formal drawing room immediately.''

Everyone waited in silence while shlok kept throwing angry glances at astha, Prof. Romila watched them closely.

The watchman knocked on door and entered,he seemed worried to be called in at this time.

NA,'' Are you the only watchman here?''

Watchman,''no sir, I alternate with my brother. Did something happen?''

NA looked at shlok who said,'' he is the one.''

NA,''How long you have been working here?''

Watchman,'' Sir, since this house was built.''

NA,'' which driver takes astha to college.''

Shlok bit his lip in worry.

Watchman looked at shlok and said,'' Sir, Madam goes by herself.''

NA,''which car?''

watchman,'' she uses public transport.''

NA,''even when there is a car available? why?''

Watchman,'' I don't know sir, she always use the public transport whether car is present or not.''

NA,''Last time when shlok left for his tour, did he tell you to call the driver for astha to drop her at college?''

Watchman looked worried,'' I did call the driver but astha madam was not home, driver kept waiting for her. When I saw that the gate was open, I guessed she must have left by herself. One of the maid confirmed that she was not in the house, it was not my fault, I went to call the driver.''

NA nodded,''Go call my driver, and tell him to ready my car.then get back to your work.''

Shlok stared at astha, so she didn't know I called the driver, so that was why she was angry at me,when I came back and not talking to me. And I thought it was one of her usual tantrums, he felt guilty. But also bit worried, so baba now knew she used public transport to go to college.

NA got up from sofa,''Thank you Romila for bringing this under my notice, its much appreciated but now I want to speak with my family privately.''

Romila got up to and nodded,'' I am sorry, I just could not ignore it. Also, please don't worry, I will not talk about this issue to anyone,you have my words.''

NA nodded, ''the car is waiting for you''. Romila went out leaving pin drop silence in room.