Chapter 2 - Autumn Breath

-Saturday Morning-

RING! RING! RING!

Marinette woke up and turned her alarm off. The day before she had set that alarm so that she could be sure to wake up in time to hear the announcement for the theme of the outfit that the contestants must create for Gabriel's summer internship. But the competition was not the first thing on her mind. What the first thing on her mind was, was the last night's events. She wondered if it was a dream. She wondered if she wanted it to be a dream.

As she slowly crawled out of bed, her head filled with thoughts, her computer began to play the announcement for the theme. She bounced up, completely forgetting about her previous dilemmas. She quickly leaped into her desk chair and watched eagerly. Tikki, her kwami, flew circles around Marinette, excited to learn the theme as well. The pair's eyes were glued to the screen as Alec, the TV host, welcomed Gabriel Agreste himself to the show. After an intro about five minutes long, Gabriel Agreste announced what the theme was.

"Autumn Chic" he announced with his usual professional expression. Marinette squealed with joy and excitement. She had never designed an autumn outfit, but it seemed like a fun challenge. "You have four days, contestants. Good luck." Gabriel closed as he walked off the screen. Alec continued to talk about some other news that Marinette didn't care much about so she turned off her computer and ran to get her sketch pad.

Marinette sat for an hour or two at her sewing desk drawing up ideas and then scratching them out. After a few hours, she finally had come up with a design she liked. A simple white short sleeve shirt with some subtle gold details, a skirt with different designs that went to just above the knees, a brown woven leather belt, red knee-high socks, a small black sun hat, white tinted sunglasses, a small red purse, and brown ankle boots with a small heel.

She immediately took out a mannequin and began to pin different fabrics to it, trying to decide which to use. She picked out all of her fabrics after two hours of debate and set to work sewing the top. At about 2:30 pm, she heard a small, unsure tap on her window. Startled, Marinette paused her music and looked out her window. There, she saw Chat Noir, perched on her windowsill. He had a warm, yet nervous, look on his face. Marinette carefully set her needle down, as she was sewing everything by hand, and she went to unlock and open the window. She backed away to give Chat Noir room to come in.

All of Marinette's feelings from last night came rushing back like a flood at the sight of him. "Ch-Chat... What are y-you doing here?" She asked.

Chat stood in the middle of her room looking down at his feet. "I'm sorry, I just had to see you. Make sure it wasn't all... a dream, but from your expression, I'm guessing it wasn't..." He trailed off awkwardly, still avoiding eye contact.

Marinette stood near her sewing desk and stared at him. There's one question answered, at least, she thought. "I. I guess it wasn't." She replied silently.

He slowly lifted his gaze to meet hers. He was expecting to see anger and resent in her eyes but instead saw kindness and confusion in his eyes, the same expression he, himself, was carrying. He smiled nervously at her. "Can we start over?" He asked, hoping he hadn't messed everything up between them. Marinette nodded.

"I would love that. It's just that-" She trailed off, unsure of what she was going to say and if she should say it.

"It's just that what?" Chat asked, assuming she meant that she didn't even want to be near him anymore.

"It's just that-" Marinette couldn't bring herself to say it. Chat simply looked at her with nervous eyes and a questioning look. "I-" she took a deep breath.

"I'm not sure that I can..." She looked down at her feet and rubbed her arm behind her back nervously.

Chat knew that there was no going back to where they were. He wished he could just be with the happy, cheery Marinette that he knew when he had first come through her window. But he knew that he couldn't. Now he was with a friend, whom he couldn't quite decide how he felt about. "Mari-" He began sadly.