Chapter 12 - Nightmares and Cheaters

"Marinette?!"

Marinette pulled away reluctantly from Chat Noir's lips and looked around, not registering who's voice had interrupted them. When her eyes met Alya's, she nearly fell backward off the railing, but Chat's arms were, luckily, still wrapped around her waist and he caught her.

"Alya, I, uh-" Marinette stuttered as she hopped down from the balcony and Chat released her from his arms.

"Marinette, what the HELL is this? How are you able to explain this?" Alya demanded, her eyes never leaving Marinette.

"I should ah, I should go..." Chat said as she began to slip away.

"Yeah, that would be best." Alya shot at him before he slipped away into the darkening sky. "Marinette, girl, what's going on?" Alya's tone softened. "I know you and you're not a liar or a cheater."

Marinette looked out into the sky, watching the black figure stop on a rooftop and look back in their direction before continuing. "I don't know, Alya. I don't know!" Marinette threw her arms up and looked at Alya helplessly. "I love Adrien, I do. I love him more than I could ever express. But... Chat stole my heart away this summer and I..." Marinette looked down at her feet. "It's like I can't control myself around him! He gets in my head and moves things around and before I can reorganize, he does some incredibly cute or sweet thing and I just..." Marinette wiped away a tear forming in her eye.

"I'm a terrible person! I'm in a relationship! With Adrien!" Marinette cried into her friend's shoulder. Alya patted her back.

"You're not a terrible person. You're just confused. I would be too if I were in your position." Alya comforted. They stood in silence in the now dark night until Marinette's phone buzzed. She sniffed and took it out.

"It's Adrien!" She told Alya, reading the screen.

"Answer it!" Alya exclaimed.

Marinette sniffed one last time to make sure she didn't sound like she had been crying.

"Hey sweetie, it's awfully late to be calling." She answered and put it on speaker phone.

"I know, angel, but I wanted to hear your voice. Long day, you know?" He replied.

"You guys are almost sickeningly cute," Alya commented in a soft whisper so Adrien wouldn't hear her.

"Listen, I need to talk to you. Can you come over to the manor tomorrow morning? My father will be out of the house so he won't bother us." He asked.

Marinette's eyes grew wide. She looked frantically at Alya who nodded her head.

"Ah, sounds good. I'll see you in the morning." Marinette replied.

"Great. Good night, angel." Marinette could almost hear his smile through the phone.

"Good night. Oh, and sweetie?" She asked quickly before he hung up.

"Yes?"

"Get some sleep. I mean it." Adrien laughed and agreed before the two hung up.

Alya looked at Marinette with amusement in her eyes. "Angel? Sweetie? God, you guys are disgusting!" She laughed.

Marinette blushed before remembering what he had asked her. "Alya! What if he knows about Chat? What if he's breaking up with me? I should have known this would happen. He's going to break up with me and his father will hate me forever and he'll stop the internship and I'll never be a fashion designer!" Marinette's head fell down and she stared at her feet.

"Girl, calm down. I'm sure everything will be okay. Come on, you need to get some rest. Is it cool if I stay over tonight?" Alya asked. Marinette nodded and smiled. The two girls went down the ladder and into Marinette's room and made a pillow mattress on the floor. Marinette reached for the remote to turn on a movie but Alya stopped her.