Nine

**I suggest music**
Madeline's POV
5:40 p.m.

He turned around and I almost fell to my knees. He is perfect, and from the way he talks, he doesn't even realize it. He stood up not only to the meanest teacher in the school, but to my abusive ex boyfriend. He was so sweet, and he only fought back when he had to or when he was fed up. Unlike me, he didn't let people run over him. He was so smart too, in second period everyone one was clueless except him. Gosh, I can't believe he said what he did at lunch. He really thought I was beautiful? I really wish I could tell him the reason why he can't be at my house, he would probably stop being my friend, or worse. Well nevermind, the thought of me and him not being friends anymore was the worse thing that can happen. I hate that because of my bastard father I have to hide under thirty pounds of concealer, I hate when he drinks. I wonder if Keegan likes me like I like him. I constantly want to text him, and I'll even go out of my way to walk pass whatever class he's headed to, just hoping to get a glimpse of him, not to mention I replay the moment he stood up for me and tried to comfort me, all day everyday. That boy has me hooked DEEP.

Keegan's POV

" So, what's the real reason you stayed outside the school for two hours without a jacket in forty degree weather? " I was really hoping she would say something like I said at lunch.

"I told you, I didn't have anywhere better to be."

" Or, it's because you like me? "

She blushed fire engine red. "No I don't. I'm not sure what kind of crack you've been smoking, but I'm just trying to be a good friend."

I remembered what Nathan said this morning,
'intimidate her.' Here goes nothing...

"Uh huh, sure. Ok so, if you let me drop you off at your house, I'll tell you a secret."

" NOOO!!! " I was shocked. Was she embarrassed by me?

"Why not?" I said pouting.

"Because I can't let you do that."

" Well I could do without being grounded for a couple more hours, and I kind of wanna tell you that secret. "

"Its not that I don't want you to come, it's just that I can't risk you getting hurt or seeing things."

" Like? "

"Me without makeup."

" You wear makeup? "

"Umm yeah. But my dad makes me take it off."

" why would you try to cover up something so pretty? " I asked earnestly.

"I don't have a choice." She said just above a whisper .

I stopped walking and she looked back and walked back to where I stopped. I look at her, hurt and pain visible in her beautiful brown eyes. We were standing right outside of the Evangel mural.

I don't know what came over me, I grabbed her by her waist and pushed her into the mural, gently. I had her pinned down and she knew it. She started to panic and breath really heavy. I wasn't going to hurt her, I was just that determined to get answers.

"Hey, I'm not going to hurt you, I promise." She nodded but only calmed down a little bit.

"Tell me what he does to you. And how often he does it. If you tell me I'll let you go, if not then Ill hold you until midnight, to be honest, I could get used to holding you this close."

" He hits me, and he drinks like a fish. But he's a totally different person when he's sober. I try to hold it all in and not let on, but it's so hard living the way I am. I have to hide the bruises and scratches as well as all of my emotions."