13

Hey guys, sorry about not updating. I was gone on a mission trip called Sierra Service Project, aka SSP. We aren't allowed to have any electronics or anything like that. I got back yesterday, so I just got my phone and computer back. I had like 84 notifications from ya'll. I am so appreciative for your guys' support. Thanks for reading my stories and I hope you like this chapter.

His fingers typed rapidly on his phone screen. It was the day that he had been praying for. A bright smile covered his face. Although he was overjoyed to have gotten Haven out of his life, there was something that clenched Zion's heart. His words. The words that had slipped from his lips when the curly-haired girl spoke to him. The image of Haven flashed across his mind. The tears in her eyes. The slight shock and heartbreak on her face. That night Zion did something he had never done before.

He regretted what he said to Haven.

Her reflection stared back at her in the mirror. The words of Zion Kuwonu repeated in her head. Tears rolled down her face. Haven already knew those certain things about herself. She knew that those were things that other people thought about her. It just hurt to hear them come from his lips. That night Haven did something she had never done before.

She cried herself to sleep.

The next morning Haven woke up with bigger bags under eyes than she normally would. It was Saturday. Her hand grabbed her phone from her nightstand.

I'll pick you up at 8

Austin.

The thought of her plans with Austin completely slipped from her mind. Taking in a deep breathe, the girl dragged herself out of bed. As much as she would like to forget about what happened between her and her former crush, she couldn't. Looking at her reflection, she could feel her stomach churn. What he said hurt, but it was true. She put no thought into how she looked but did she really care what others thought?

Haven walked downstairs to find both of her parents sat at the kitchen table. "Good morning buttercup, how'd you sleep?" Her coffee eyes met her dad's gaze. She just shook her head as she slumped into her seat. This wasn't her usual Saturday morning actions. Naomi and Jacob looked at their daughter with concern. 

"What's wrong Haven?" Naomi spoke up, shifting in her seat. 

Looking between her parents, Haven let out a huge sigh. She had always been truthful with her parents. "If someone tells you that you don't look presentable or you never have a decent outfit, something along those lines, and it is true, is it okay for you to want to change yourself?"

Jacob looked over at his wife. He had no idea how to handle this situation considering he was not a girl. He never understood the stresses of being a young lady in the twenty-first century. Naomi took in a breath understanding her husband's silent message. "Well, butterfly, if you are changing your appearance because you want to and it is for the right reasons, not because society is telling you that you're not beautiful, then I guess it's fine. You're not changing you as a person, that's all."

Haven stared at her mother for a moment. She was always so wise and knew exactly what to say. The girl would forever admire her mother. With a sigh and a smile, the daughter rose from her seat at the table. "Thanks, Mom. Dad." The girl turned on her heel to go get dressed before Austin arrived. 

"Buttercup," Jacob called out to his little girl. She turned to look at him, "Just know that you are beautiful and that no matter what anybody says we love you just the way you are."

"I know," with one last smile, she ran up the stairs.

Hanging out with Austin was the best thing Haven could have asked for that day. Her camera dangled from her neck as she walked beside the boy. They were headed nowhere in particular. The golden-haired boy continued to throw stupid jokes towards Haven while she just laughed at them, the occasional snort leaving her nose. The thought of Zion left her head when she was with Austin. 

After taking photos around the neighborhood and eating at Murphy's, the boy dropped the girl off on her porch step. A bright smile covered her face as her eyes met his. "I had a lot of fun, Haven. We should definitely do it again," Austin ran a hand through his hair briefly breaking eye contact with her, but soon finding his way back up to her big coffee eyes. 

"I did too," She paused looking down at her feet. Zion popped into her head again. The only reason why she had declined the golden-haired boy in front of her was Zion. Haven had thought that he might have felt the same way she did. But it was very clear now that the two of them would never be a thing. "How about we go on an official date next Saturday?"

To say that Austin was shocked would be an understatement. The simple question caught him slightly off guard. The girl in front of him had basically rejected him earlier on in the week and now she was asking him out. His eyes grew wider as he stared at her in shock. Realizing that he needed to say something, he allowed a wide smile to creep onto his face, "Yeah, I'd like that."

A smile just as wide as the boy's formed on the girl's face. Inching closer to his face, Haven planted her lips to his cheeks. "Bye," her voice whispered before heading inside her home.

Zion's fingers left the curtain behind his window. He stared down at the ground, his heart clenching in his chest. He didn't mean to spy on his weird neighbor. He just noticed her and the new kid together. One thing led to another and he was staring down at her kissing his cheek. Zion took in a deep breathe before flopping onto his bed.

He had wanted Haven to like Austin.

He wanted her to no longer like him.

He wanted to be free of her love.

Right?