6 | DATING NEWS AND RETRO HITS

"You are what?" My Mom shouts and for a moment she even loses her grip on the steering wheel, earning herself a few angry beeps and some awfully pretty words from the people stuck in early traffic. "So you're telling me that you're dating Archer Finn?"

"Yep." I say, popping the 'p' as if it's no big deal, even though both of us know it's a big freaking deal for me.

"How did this even happen?" She asks exasperated, her eyes suddenly wide awake and I can guarantee it's not her coffee that woke her up.

I mean, finding out your daughter is dating a suspicious guy who is tattooed from head to toe and even has a reputation for being a bad boy and a flirt, is not really great news for any responsible parent.

And if I can say one thing about my Mom, it's that she's responsible to the point where it turns into something bad.

In fact, I don't really worry, but if I were in Archer's shoes I'd watch my step because one wrong move with me and Mom will definitely fight him and probably beat the hell out of him.
Yes, she's that type of parent. And it helps to know she's a black belt in karate. So there's that.

"Answer me, Jordan! How did this even happen?" She tries again, sounding even more worried and I sigh, realizing I'll have to spill everything or she wouldn't let me live.

I'll probably leave out the small detail that we made out. A few times. In different positions.

"Well he was looking for me when I got inside the house and he went ahead and presented me to his friends. We then got to a more quiet corner and he said that he has feeling for me, and I said the same back to him, and Voilà."

"So there was no kissing?" Mom asks, but from her tone I'm sure she knows it wasn't as innocent as I portray it to be.

"There was. I mean it was only a kiss to,you know, seal the deal. Sail the ship. Move the groove..." I finish my lame attempt at lying with the most awkward and forced laugh I can muster which 'undoubtedly' leaves my Nom with no suspicions that her daughter dry humped a guy at a party the night before.

Yeah.

Definitely.

"So, um, mom. Archer is coming to take me out tonight. Do you min-"

"Yes I do."

"You know you can't really stop me from going out, right?"

"I know. Doesn't mean I approve of this relationship thing happening."

I turn to her in my seat. "Why does it bother you so much? We're young, it's just some fun for both of us."

"Because, birdie, that's how me and your dad started dating, as well. I also told my mother that it was just for us to have some teenage experience, but I ended up completely falling head over heels for Caleb and I had you at eighteen. Do you realize how bad it would be if you forget about your own future, just because you're thinking of what could it be like for both of you to be happy?"

"Mom, I talked to Archer about it and he's completely aware that I'm leaving in a week. I'm chasing my dreams but I can't deny that I want to feel mutual love, especially when it's Archer Finn that we're talking about. You know that I-"

"Yes, I know, honey. Just make sure that this Archer guy doesn't meddle into your life and then destroy what you've worked so hard for."

I'm growing tired of this conversation already but I don't show any sign of annoyance, because that might cost me my date with Arch tonight and I definitely don't want to miss something like this just because I got into a fight with my Mom.

"You're right, Mom. I'll keep all of this in mind." I conclude and hope it would be enough. At least for now. Thankfully, my words seem to have the right effect on her, because she relaxes in her seat and turns the radio in the car on. She's always loved the outdated 80's disco hits, and as much as I wish I didn't follow in her steps, I have to admit I have a soft spot for anything retro, including the music that was Mom's jam when she was around my age.

On our way home we sing every song without caring about the fact that a) we're both terrible singers and b) this is probably one of our last car karaoke's we'll have before I leave for California. But that's okay, because as long as I have my phone, my headphones and my 80's playlist, I will carry the memories of those moments everywhere I go.

Just like I'll carry the memories of Archer Finn and how much I've waited and fantasized even for something as simple as his kiss.

It's at that moment, while I'm in the middle of a track from the movie Flashdance, I realize that even if Archer decides that he wants to cut ties, I'd still be happy because at the end of the day his touch still lingers on my skin and his lips still trigger a sensation I couldn't explain even I tried to.